Lock ups , reboots , dead short cuts ??? Ughhhh

Bigbear4x4
NewLounger

Lock ups , reboots , dead short cuts ??? Ughhhh

Post by Bigbear4x4 »

Hello, HELP !

I upgraded to 8.1 then to win 10
Been using it for a few months and really love all it has to offer, however, every couple days my toolbar goes up and stays stuck in the up position, the notification button near clock is dead, the start button is dead and when I try to restart windows in task manager, over 3/4 of the screen disappears and the pc locks up solid.
I have to use the power button on my key board to shut off then restart which is a long process time wise.
Please tell me this is a common complaint and there is an easy fix for this issue !!!!! Thanks for any help you can give me ,
Dana Anderson , Maine, U.S.A. :sad:

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Lock ups , reboots , dead short cuts ??? Ughhhh

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dana,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge :smile:

The issue seems to be a common one if I scan the results that Google returns...

I don't have Win10 so I cannot confirm the solutions in the links I post, but it does provide you a starting point to try resolve. Beside trying these, keep your eye out for subsequent replies as many of our members have migrated to Win10 and I'm sure you will get some additional comments and advice.

See the replies in this thread at TenForums.
I cannot confirm, but apparently, the solution involving PowerShell and this line...:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

...looks promising...
(Open Powershell with admin privileges and copy and paste this line at the PS prompt)

Some other page hits I got:
-- Start Menu & Button not working in Windows 10
-- Has your Windows 10 Start menu stopped working? Here are four ways to fix it
-- Windows 10 Start Menu and Modern Apps Do Not Function

NOTE: Please read carefully through the threads and advice and act on advice only if you see comments by other replies verify the process.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Bigbear4x4
NewLounger

Post by Bigbear4x4 »

Thank you Rudi. I had Avast on my pc and uninstalled it this morning. Gonna try running "Defender" which came with win 10 , see how that works . Read somewhere Avast and Windows 10 dont get along ! Thanks again and have a great day !

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Holding thumbs that this will resolve it for you... :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.