1511 Upgrade (Build 10586.3)

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: 1511 Upgrade (Build 10586.3)

Post by Rudi »

Have you tried the USB option? It apparently writes the rollback version (windows.old) to a USB (if detected) which can significantly help with the space required for the upgrade.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

I, too, hadn't been offered the Windows Update containing the new build. I hadn't been offered the original Win 10 upgrade either back in August.

Not being a patient user (I really need to work on that), I went to the Upgrade Now page and went through the process. It took about an hour but I successfully ended up with the new build. So far, so good. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol W.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Rudi wrote:Have you tried the USB option? It apparently writes the rollback version (windows.old) to a USB (if detected) which can significantly help with the space required for the upgrade.
Thanks, but that page talks about 32 GB devices - mine is 16 GB - and it offers no instructions. Even when I point Windows towards a USB it still says I need around 3 GB of extra space on C which I don't have.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hmmm...I'm not sure what else I can suggest. Sorry :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Seems that those of us who are not yet on Windows 10 will not get this 1511 update until after 31 days from W10 install. Pity to have to make two large downloads.

If it’s been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won’t get the November update right away; this will allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the November update.

I have a couple of programme issues still to solve regarding pic & video editing.

Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could download the 1511 download manually and install it. But no hurry.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Cah wrote:Thanks for the links, Rudi, I hadn't seen either of those pages but they don't provide a solution. The closest is to try and use the MediaCreationTool but the trouble is that if I use that from the tablet it doesn't give me the option of saving an ISO or even formatting a USB. Iit just wants to overwrite C:\ which will lead to the same problem as updating directly.
I can certainly appreciate your level of frustration as I went through a similar experience as related here.

I do understand that your system drive is a 16GB unit and I suppose it is an eMMC. While mine is a 32GB unit I was able to get used storage down to less than 13GB.

I also assume that you used the Disk Cleanup tool to get rid of any previous system install files and folders.

I used the Upgrade Now Option and it did overlay the older version of Win 10, build 10240, but no problems arose. During the install process it did say "Creating Windows 10 Media" but I did not have a microSD or USB flash drive installed. And, everything completed successfully.

After you cleaned out everything how much space was used on your 16GB device?

[Edited to add: I just noticed that the link I provided in my HP posting now goes to a different site on the MS site. It no longer has the "Update Now" feature.
Regards,
Bob

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

How can I display the About Windows information that Jay Freedman posted here.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:How can I display the About Windows information that Jay Freedman posted here.
In the lower left area of the taskbar, in the search box, type in winver and you shall see the information you seek.
Regards,
Bob

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

PaulB wrote:How can I display the About Windows information that Jay Freedman posted here.
Two paths:
  • Click Start > Settings > System > About.
  • Open a Command window, type winver at the prompt, and press Enter.
The display from the first path includes more information about your PC, but both will show the version and build numbers.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Bob and Jay. I was not aware of the winver command. This is what I was looking for to produce that window.
I had tried the ...> System > About option. It produces essentially the same information but with a different look.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.