Windows 10 email prompts

Leif
Administrator

Windows 10 email prompts

Post by Leif »

I personally haven't dipped my toe in Windows 10 waters yet, but my (Danish) step-mum has inadvertently got her Win 7 laptop set up to download Windows 10 and has been receiving odd (to her) emails.

Can someone please confirm if this is to be expected? - the urls appear genuine enough.

First from Microsoft:
("For at afslutte konfigurationen af denne Microsoft-konto skal vi bare være sikre på, at denne mailadresse er din." = "To complete configuration of the Microsoft account should we just be sure that this address is yours.")
x.jpg
and for some reason, also from Firefox:
("Aktiver din konto ved at bekræfte denne mailadresse." = "Activate your account by confirming this address.")
y.jpg
She is adamant she does not want Windows 10 - she is at an age where she is happy with what she has and doesn't want to change what she is comfortable with. I have yet to read through and digest the trials and tribulations of others, but as she is now getting the "W10 is ready to download" prompts, I'm expecting I'm going to have to oversee the download and find out how to not install it... :crazy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 email prompts

Post by HansV »

Although both look genuine, it seems strange to me that these unrelated prompts appear at the same time. You only need to confirm your e-mail address with Firefox if you're setting up Firefox Sync - a service that lets you synchronize your Firefox settings between several devices. That doesn't have anything to do with Windows 10...

About preventing Windows 10 from being installed: see How to stop the Windows 10 Upgrade from downloading on your system.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 email prompts

Post by Leif »

Thanks Hans - I'll see how we get on... :smile:
Leif