Win 10 Partitions

OneSecondStreet
Lounger

Win 10 Partitions

Post by OneSecondStreet »

I have an Acer Veriton desktop, running Win 10 (which I have set to never upgrade to windows 11). When I bought it, I asked the person I bought it from to make a separate partition. So the C drive contains the windows files and is 142GB, with 33GB free currently. The E drive, which contains all my files, is 5.31TB and has 2TB free.

1) Is it a good idea to have the windows drive separated from my files?
2) If I wanted to, is there a way to combine the two partitions, back so that everything is on the one C drive?
3) Is there a way to "clean up" the C drive, so it only has the files required on there?

Thankyou.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win 10 Partitions

Post by HansV »

1) Although not strictly necessary, it is a good idea to keep the OS and your files separate.
2) You'd have to create a backup of the E: partition. You can then delete that partition and expand the C: partition.
Finally, copy your files from the backup to C:
You'd have to adjust some settings, such as the default save folder for Word, for example.
3) You can use a utility such as CCleaner to delete temporary files and other 'fluff'.
I assume that your applications are installed on the C: partition. If you reinstall Windows, you'd have to reinstall all your software too.
Best wishes,
Hans

OneSecondStreet
Lounger

Post by OneSecondStreet »

Thankyou Hans, very helpful. I do have CCleaner, so I'll give that a run. If it's better to keep them separate, I'm happy to do that. I can't remember why 142GB was chosen, I'm assuming it should be enough...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can run the built-in Disk Cleanup utility. Just press the Windows key and type Disk Cleanup. Then select "Run as Administrator". Select the "C" drive. After it runs the analysis, select the items you want to delete, click "Ok" and the Delete files.
Joe