Whatsapp for Windows

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Whatsapp for Windows

Post by stuck »

Does anybody use here use Whatsapp on their Windows devices?

Specifically is there any advantage in using the actual Whatsapp Windows app rather than using the Whatsapp web client in a browser?

Thanks,

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Whatsapp for Windows

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use WhatsApp in a web browser on Windows and it works fine, I don't like to install apps that offer no benefits over using a web site
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thank you. I should have done a search for something like that myself but I thought real world experience would be more relevant. No matter, I think this bit of that article (which I made bold) is the key thing to note:
On the other hand, WhatsApp Desktop requires downloading and installing an application on your computer. Once installed, you’ll need to link it with your mobile device by scanning a QR code just like with WhatsApp Web. The advantage here is that once linked, you won’t need to keep your phone nearby for continued access.
:thankyou:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I don't have to keep my phone nearby for continued access. I only need to reconnect after running ccleaner once a month.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Oh, even better. I expected that Ccleaner would require reconnection.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Jumping into this thread with a question . . .

I searched and read a couple of articles that tell me what WhatsApp is and why it was developed: to provide capabilities in messaging that SMS messaging lacks, like media. I get that, I think; but I would like to know from you who use it 1) why you use it, 2) what is it better at besides including media, if anything, 3) what are drawbacks to using it?

In one of the articles I read I understood it to mean that you must use a telephone number to address a WhatsApp message. I understood that to mean that I must look up and enter a phone number, which sounds like a burdensome requirement. Can one simply find your correspondent in the Contacts folder, choose it and complete the message? If one uses it both on the smartphone and the desktop, how does one keep contacts sync'ed on both?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

1) I use it because both my sons use it, it's an easy way to chat to them
2) It is much easier to have a group conversation, i.e. chat to multiple people at the same time, using Whatsapp than using email.
3) The drawback is that Whatsapp is owned by Meta, the company that owns Facebook

Once Whatsapp is installed on your smart phone, it has access to all your contacts and any of them that also have Whatsapp installed appear as available contacts within your Whatsapp. Similalrly, Whatsapp can access your phones camera and thus you can snap a picture or a video and send it all from within Whatsapp. Or you access your gallery and attach media to captured previously.

I don't know how the syncing works but it does. Whatsapp on my phone and in the web client (running in Firefox) show the same content.

I'm fairly sure someone you know, a neighbour for instance, will have Whatsapp on the phone. Ask them to demo it to you. Much more effective than trying to learn about it from The Lounge.

Ken
EDITED TO ADD: all messages sent and received by Whatsapp are fully end to end encrypted

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another nice feature of WhatsApp: you can send someone your location, either as of the moment you send it or "live" for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. This works great when you have to meet someone. The recipient sees where you are on Google Maps.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 19:57
...The recipient sees where you are on Google Maps.
The recipient can see where you are on any mapping app that they have on their device
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, thanks
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, I installed WhatsApp on my iPhone and had my daughter install it on hers. We tested it out pretty well. I think we will use it instead of SMS text messaging from now on. Also installed it on wife's phone. It seems to be a very good product (despite being owned by Meta). Speaking of Meta, they are constructing a 300 acre data facility in our town. It will employ fewer than 75 people in total but will consume millions of gallons of water each year for cooling.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Whatsapp wasn't originally developed by Meta/Facebook. Meta/Facebook bought it when they realised how good it was.

If it being owned by Meta/Facebook is a privacy concern for you then an alternative is an app called Signal. I don't have that on my phone but I'm fairly sure Hans and Stuart use it and will be able to explain how it is different to Whatsapp.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

The content of that link states "WhatsApp Desktop requires you to authenticate using biometric data or a PIN code every time you launch the application."

Not on mine, it doesn't! It starts every time I start Windows and log in, and is available immediately. Unless I have some setting that allows that :shrug:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I use both WhatsApp and Signal.
Signal, like WhatsApp, is available for iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows. I like it because it's created and maintained by a non-profit organization, and its software is open source.
Signal's functionality largely corresponds to that of WhatsApp, with one omission (probably for privacy reasons): it doesn't let you share your live location with others.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I like Signal because it has good privacy, but few of my friends use it, so I mostly use WhatsApp
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 09:12
...Not on mine, it doesn't! It starts every time I start Windows and log in, and is available immediately. Unless I have some setting that allows that :shrug:
Same for me, WhatsApp web opens and is ready to use without any extra authentication.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

WhatsApp works on the Internet; so that should mean that it can be used internationally, right? For example, if I had Stuart's phone number I could message him or receive a location pin from him. Is that correct?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, you can use it to communicate with anyone who has a smartphone with WhatsApp installed.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Whatsapp doesn't just do chat messages, you can use it to make phone calls as well, both audio and video calls.

Ken