Music App

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Music App

Post by BobH »

Not a cell phone expert, but I have watched YouTube. :innocent:

Seriously, it's my understanding that cell phones, even when turned off, continue to ping cell towers. Once, whilst driving across Florida I received a promotional call on my cell phone that was turned off. I had crossed from one company's service area to another and the new company wanted to sell me a subscription to their service. This was a couple decades ago, before smart phones and today's battery technology. I had my phone off to conserve the battery in case of need. That was the first experience I had with phones turned off still pinging cell towers. Since then, I've read that cell phones without SIM cards also ping cell towers. I was never able to find out if this occurs with the phone off or if it must be turned on. I learned of this because old cell phones without SIM cards are donated to women's shelters where they are given to women at risk of battery so that the phones can be used to call 911 (or whatever the local emergency number is). With no SIM card phones will still call the local emergency service, and I think they still ping the towers. I'm pretty sure 911 use without a SIM card or subscribed service is a statutory requirement in the States.

I am of the opinion that cell phones should, by law, have the option to turn off tower pinging, especially smart phones that can use apps. Law enforcement would probably resist that change because they use records of what towers successfully ping phones to track people's whereabouts. I argue that most criminals are too stupid to turn their phones off to avoid being tracked, and honest people should not be burdened with presumptive guilt to make life easier for law enforcement.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Hi Bob,

I'm not a cell phone/mobile expert either, but I suggest you read this:

Do Cell Phones Ping Towers When Turned OFF? - InPics Solutions

- the sentiments of which I totally agree with.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 10:05
Do Cell Phones Ping Towers When Turned OFF? - InPics Solutions - the sentiments of which I totally agree with.

Including, I daresay, the certainty of "However, the last known location might be logged if your phone was ON before being switched OFF."
Last time I checked, even my dumb refrigerator was turned ON before I turned it OFF!
Cynically yours :evilgrin:
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leif, I'm dubious about information in that link. I've done experiments with my phone turned off and in a metal container and had it called from another phone and the phone records the missed call. How does that happen?

Well, first, my metal container was not working as an effective Faraday Cage. Second, somehow the signal got to my phone. Presumably, the signal came from a cell tower that my phone was 'sensitive' to, ie, was connected to the tower long enough for it to receive a packet signalling that a message was sent.

It is possible that the tower - or some other node in the system - stored the fact that a call had been sent to my number and, as soon as my phone was powered up again, sent a packet telling me of the missed call. IDK
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, have you verified that your phone is actually turned off? With my iPhone, I have to press the side button and the volume up button together and then slide a button graphic on the screen to the right. If this is not done correctly, all I accomplish is turning off the screen, the phone remaining on.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 16:13
It is possible that the tower - or some other node in the system - stored the fact that a call had been sent to my number and, as soon as my phone was powered up again, sent a packet telling me of the missed call.
I would think that this was likely.
Your phone is just the-last-mile in a very long wire, isn't it?
I would expect the system to treat every phone call (text message, email, ...) as critical and just not give up until the message can be delivered.

You and i are old enough to remember The Telegraph Boy who might rest in a bus shelter at the foot of the hill until the rain-storm had passed, yes?
Cheers, Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 16:13
I've done experiments with my phone turned off and in a metal container and had it called from another phone and the phone records the missed call. How does that happen?

... as soon as my phone was powered up again, sent a packet telling me of the missed call.
I think it quite normal for your service provider to let you know you have missed a call, either because you were out of range or your mobile was switched off. Mine certainly does!
Leif