Music App

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Music App

Post by Ted Myers »

I have a music app on my Android Phone but no music installed. The app cannot be removed or updated. Can you help?
-
www.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Music App

Post by StuartR »

Most apps like that are installed by the phone manufacturer. I just ignore them.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You'd have to "root" your phone to completely take over. I'd not recommend doing that. See How to root an Android phone for more details.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I understand Ted's complaint. Mine is a bit over the top, perhaps. I'd like to be able to turn my cell phone's radio off. In fact, I think it should be a law that all cell phone devices have an off switch that kills the radio signaling capability. Why is it necessary to have your device ping every tower that it passes using up battery power for no purpose that serves me? Why shouldn't the consumer have the right to shut the damned things off?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

The phone in question is an OPPO A5 2020 which I got second hand. I did a factory reset and everything was finally set to my liking. The music App appeared out of the blue after I had been using it for about 8 months. It has been disabled only because it is unable to be removed. Thanks for your input.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Putting your phone into flight mode should turn off the radio completely
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 23:44
Hi Stuart.
I am correct in interpreting this that "Flight Mode" or (in my Android case) "Airplane Mode On" means that my walks around Bonavista cannot be tracked by anyone (that you know of)?
Thanks, Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Yes. That is correct
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 14:29
Yes. That is correct
Thanks Stuart.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 21:56
...I'd like to be able to turn my cell phone's radio off. In fact, I think it should be a law that all cell phone devices have an off switch that kills the radio signaling capability.
As Stuart has pointed out, switching to Airplane or Flight mode will disable all wireless connection.

BobH wrote:
Why is it necessary to have your device ping every tower that it passes using up battery power for no purpose that serves me?
So that your network knows where to route any incoming call or message to you. If you don't need that facility, power your mobile off and save even more battery life!
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 23:44
Do you know if fight mode persists after powering the device off?

So far, all my tests have shown the phone to continue to ping cell towers as evidenced by attempts to call or text from another device. I have to admit that I don't know if I tried the tests whilst in airplane mode.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:46

So far, all my tests have shown the phone to continue to ping cell towers as evidenced by attempts to call or text from another device.
Can you clarify what tests you carried out, and how you know your mobile "pinged" network repeaters? I'm curious!
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

On my Android phone, I enabled airplane mode, then powered the phone down. Airplane mode was still active when I turned it on again.
A quick search suggests that it's the same for iPhone, but I cannot test that myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leif wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 21:02
BobH wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:46

So far, all my tests have shown the phone to continue to ping cell towers as evidenced by attempts to call or text from another device.
Can you clarify what tests you carried out, and how you know your mobile "pinged" network repeaters? I'm curious!
My test methodology was rudimentary (in keeping with my intellectual limitations :scratch: ). I turned the phone off and called the phone from my wife's phone and even had her do it when I was miles away. Because my phone rang, I made the inference that it was pinging cell towers in order for the connection to work. I even placed my phone in aluminum (aluminium if you must :grin:) foil and a so-called signal blocking folder and placed all inside a steel box; yet I still received those phone calls. Of course the fallacy might have been in my inference.

I shall have to repeat those tests making certain that Airplane Mode is turned ON. I'm also considering lining that steel box with sheet lead, from a roofing or plumbing supply house.

I'm not so much paranoid as a very private individual who thinks that the passive tracking of my movements when I have my phone is too much of an invasion and shouldn't be passively accepted.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 23:14
... I'm also considering lining that steel box with sheet lead, from a roofing or plumbing supply house.
I searched for "how to shield phone with metal" and came up with this page.

But as I waited for the page to load I thought "Aren't phone signals passed from microwave towers, and isn't a microwave oven powered by microwaves, and aren't the microwaves not supposed to escape from the microwave oven?"
So consider:-
Step 1: unplug the microwave power cord from the wall outlet (better safe than sorry)
Step 2: place phone inside oven and close door.

N.B. Have some other Lounger confirm this
. My knowledge of electronics, especially microwaves, is less than yours :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Microwave ovens prevent the emission of a specific frequency. Mobile phone networks use a different frequency
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BobH wrote:
My test methodology was rudimentary (in keeping with my intellectual limitations :scratch: ). I turned the phone off and called the phone from my wife's phone and even had her do it when I was miles away. Because my phone rang, I made the inference that it was pinging cell towers in order for the connection to work. I even placed my phone in aluminum (aluminium if you must :grin:) foil and a so-called signal blocking folder and placed all inside a steel box; yet I still received those phone calls. Of course the fallacy might have been in my inference.
I tried to replicate your tests. My results are as follows:

iPhone on, Airplane mode off. Call from landline connected.

iPhone on, Airplane mode on. Call from landline did not connect.

iPhone off, Airplane mode on. Call from landline did not connect.

iPhone off, Airplane mode off. Call from landline did not connect.

You may not be using an iPhone but, if you are, I do not understand why your phone rings when it is off. Why it rings while in your version of a Faraday cage is perplexing. :scratch:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
12 Jan 2024, 03:27
... Mobile phone networks use a different frequency
Thank you Stuart.
@Bob: " My knowledge of electronics, especially microwaves, is less than yours". My knowledge of microwaves is almost less than my own knowledge :laugh: .
Cheers, Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
I turned the phone off and called the phone from my wife's phone and even had her do it when I was miles away. Because my phone rang, I made the inference that it was pinging cell towers in order for the connection to work.
My only undertanding of what is happening then is that, by definition, your phone can not be "turned off".
(My interpretation of "turned off" being that it was powered down.)

Can you share the make and model?
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
... Why is it necessary to have your device ping every tower that it passes using up battery power for no purpose that serves me? ...
@BobH See also phone battery dying?
Cheers, Chris