Inadvertently bypassing a virus scan downloading an APK file

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Inadvertently bypassing a virus scan downloading an APK file

Post by ChrisGreaves »

My phone is an LGK30 Android.
I am in the habit of downloading an APK file, and then installing from that APK. I reason that I can always reinstall my earlier version if an updated version is buggy. Been doing that the 30+ years in Windows, always wanting the installation CD and so on.

I tend to download the APK file on my laptop computer, then copy the APK file to my phone.

The thought strikes me that while my laptop system might be very good at scanning for viruses in downloaded EXE files for the laptop, it my not be so good at scannng downloaded APK files for Android.
Whereas if I downloaded the APK files ON the android phone, the Android virus scanning might be better at ferreting out nasty code.
There again, perhaps the laptop anti-virus measures scan APK files anyway and I am making a mountain out of a volehill :grin: .

Thanks for any comments.
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Inadvertently bypassing a virus scan downloading an APK file

Post by HansV »

I only install apps from Google's Play Store. Apps are vetted and scanned for malware before they are made available there.
Apps for Android are generally small in file size, so reinstalling from the Play Store is not really a problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also NEVER download apk files, it's far too riskly
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 13:04
Thanks for any comments.
I'm 100% with Hans and Stuart here. And if it's not available from the PlayStore, I can live without it.
Leif