Amazon Echo

BobH
UraniumLounger

Amazon Echo

Post by BobH »

Are posts on this subject allowed? If not, remove it; but if they are I'd like to know who is using the Music on all devices skill and how they managed to make it happen. I've successfully set up a group of the devices but when given the voice command to play music on that group, Alexa responds saying she doesn't know of any device by the group name that can play music.

I've done a lot of searching and find articles mostly a year or more old. Those articles describe menu processes and choices that I do not see in my iOS Amazon Alexa app V 2.2.240789.0.

I've not been able to find anything I can follow on the version of the app that I have.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Amazon Echo

Post by BobH »

Bad form to reply to your own post, but because I found the answer I'm posting it here.
Here are the steps to set up Multi-room music:

1. Open the Alexa App
2. Click on the house in the bottom right hand corner
3. Click on plus sign at top right corner
4. Click on Add Multi-room Music Speakers
5. Pick a custom name from the list or make up your own
6. Click next
7. Select the Echo devices you want in the group
8. Click Save
9. To play music on all devices in the group: Example: "Alexa, play Stan Getz Jazz everywhere"
. . . from Amazon Customer Service

The Alexa App is available for Android and iOS devices from their respective download sites. It was free for iOS; I don't know about Android. The problems I had resulted from reading articles that described menu presentation and choices from earlier versions of the Alexa app than the one currently available.

I hope this might help anyone else having the problem. As I suspect that these instructions might be superseded in future, I suggest keeping Amazon Customer service's number at hand (1-866-216-1072 in the US).

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Last edited by BobH on 06 Nov 2018, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for posting the solution.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

No problem posting to your own thread. (Don't we all talk to ourselves at times?)
Mostly because it will be available to someone else who has a similar headache but also because it's a great opportunity to pat yourself an the back. I've found that that doesn't happen too often! :clapping: :thumbup: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, VBob!

My motivation in posting was to record the solution in case someone else needs it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

viking33 wrote:No problem posting to your own thread. (Don't we all talk to ourselves at times?)....
I've given up posting to my own thread, because I'm fearful of ending up in a furious argument with myself. :yep:
Cheers, Claude.