I Forgot my iPhone Passcode

BobH
UraniumLounger

I Forgot my iPhone Passcode

Post by BobH »

I let my iPhone 5 battery drain completely over this past weekend. I was not having any problems with it previously. I have been using the fingerprint on the start button to unlock the phone without any problems. After recharging, the device now insists that I must enter a passcode. I don't recall having set one, relying on the fingerprint ID instead; but, just in case, I tried entering several 4-digit numbers I normally use - to no avail. Now, each time I try again the phone is disabled for up to 15 minutes.

Does anyone know how I might overcome this problem? I stopped by the AT&T store but they could offer no solution. I was told that there is a way to use iTunes to reset it, but that all data will be lost. I opened iTunes with the phone attached but iTunes is no recognizing its presence (presumably because it is disabled).

Anyone?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: I Forgot my iPhone Passcode

Post by HansV »

Have you tried 1234? Or 0000?
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

BobH,

If you have a good backup of the iPhone in iTunes, you could reset the phone back to the factory defaults and then set it up again similar to a new iPhone. iTunes will ask you if you would like to restore data and etc..

Click here for troubleshooting
Last edited by jstevens on 19 Jan 2015, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
John

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Have you tried 1234? Or 0000?
Yes.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

jstevens wrote:BobH,

If you have a good backup of the iPhone in iTunes, you could reset the phone back to the factory defaults and then set it up again similar to a new iPhone. iTunes will ask you if you would like to restore data and etc..
I have 2 iPhones: the newer 5 and the older 4s. Both are connected via USB to the Win 7 system but neither shows up in Windows Explorer nor in iTunes when I load it. The 4s is turned on and set to never shut down the screen. I cannot get the 5 to come on without a passcode. Because it is not coming on, I think the OS is not recognizing it as a connected device.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Read through this webpage and follow the appropriate steps.
    (If you cannot use iTunes or the Cloud to recover, you will need to use the third process called Recovery Mode)
     If using recovery Mode, here is some further material to review: Video documenting process and another step-by-step guide
Note: Recovery Mode will of course wipe the phones content.

2. If all the above fails, there is "apparently" a program called iPhone Care Pro program that has a passcode unlocker. I have never used this before and cannot verify it's feature. If all else fails..it's maybe worth a try.

3. Some links and guides on Apple Support Site: How To Remove Password From iPhone 5. I forget my password!!!

I hope you come right.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks to all.

Rudi, I was able to use the recovery mode to reset my phone. It is now back to its near pristine state. I did add my fingerprint and a passcode (one I cannot forget this time). Over the next few days I will try to recover the other information. I still have my old iPhone 4S and will try to clone its content to the new iP5.

Thanks for the help. I was at sea for a couple of days.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Good to hear you came right...and thanks for the feedback.
This might be useful for other loungers using iPhones (incl. myself).
:cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Have you tried 1234? Or 0000?
Get With The Program, Hans! (grin)
(progress with passwords)
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace