Computer doesn't hibernate when battery reaches critical lev

jmt356
SilverLounger

Computer doesn't hibernate when battery reaches critical lev

Post by jmt356 »

I had my Windows 8 laptop set to go into hibernate mode when the battery reached a critical level (set to about 11% of the remaining battery). About an hour later, I found it turned off and my work was not saved.

I then set it to go into sleep mode when the battery reached a critical level. Again, about an hour later, I found it turned off and my work was not saved.

Why are my settings apparently not working?

Both times, I had my smart phone plugged into the laptop as a Personal Hotspot. I am not sure if that blocked the laptop from being able to go into hibernate or sleep mode.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Computer doesn't hibernate when battery reaches critical

Post by HansV »

Have you tested what happens if your phone is not plugged in?

Have you tried increasing the critical level to, say, 20%? Sometimes, the battery doesn't reports its level correctly.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just increased it to 20%. I will see if that helps.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Under Advanced power settings | Battery, my laptop is set to hibernate when the computer reaches the critical battery level (10%).

At the same time, however, my laptop is set to never go to sleep under the High performance plan.

Which of these two plans prevails--to hibernate when the computer reaches the critical battery level or to never go to sleep under the High Performance Plan?

I want my computer to hibernate not after a set number of minutes or hours, but when the battery reaches 10%.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid this is (far) beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone else can help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I'd try to disable the High Performance Plan, assuming that the results of this were not sucessful:
HansV wrote:Have you tested what happens if your phone is not plugged in?
BTW, is your phone tethering via WiFi ?
Cheers, Claude.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tested the computer a few nights ago without the phone plugged in. In the morning, I found the computer was shut down, which means it did not properly hibernate when it reached the critical battery level.

I am not sure what you meant by "tethering via Wifi." I was using my phone as a hotspot. However, my laptop was unable to connect to the phone via wifi, so I connected the laptop to the phone via the cord, which enabled Internet access on the laptop.
Regards,

JMT

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Ok, I'm getting a slightly clearer picture now.

I suggest you disable all battery critical events, save all your open documents, exit all your programs and then just leave the laptop on, let the battery drain all the way. Probably best to do this first thing in the morning so you can monitor what's happening during the day.

Keep an eye on the battery level and check at what percentage it shuts down and let us know the percentage...
Cheers, Claude.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

This is very difficult to do unless I stand in front of my computer for several hours. I suspect it shuts down at around 10%.

However, I think it shut down at around 2% a couple days ago because when I turned it back on, my battery had about 2% left.

I think I might not pursue this one further and just try to plug in or hibernate manually when I reach 15% battery.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

From an elevated command prompt try running:

powercfg /energy
powercfg /lastwake
powercfg /batteryreport
powercfg /sleepstudy

powercfg /? to see all options