msg command in Win8.1

BillW
3StarLounger

msg command in Win8.1

Post by BillW »

I am moving from my old Vista laptop to my new Win8.1 laptop and I've discovered that the new scheduler cannot display reminder messages! I have been given the suggestion to use the msg command and pass an argument that is the message to be displayed. However, my new Win8.1 machine does not seem to have a msg command. Does anyone know if the msg command is available for use in Win8.1? The person who suggested it showed the result of an example but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Bill

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: msg command in Win8.1

Post by Rudi »

See if you can follow the instructions in this post. It provides step by step instructions to create a msg via the msg feature (which is built into Windows) or by using Powershell which itself is a built in component of Win8.1.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Rudi wrote:See if you can follow the instructions in this post. It provides step by step instructions to create a msg via the msg feature (which is built into Windows) or by using Powershell which itself is a built in component of Win8.1.
Rudi, your link points to the instructions I tried to follow but my system does not recognize the msg command! If it did that method looks much simpler and cleaner than the alternative so I was wondering what has happened to the msg command? That was my primary reason for posting this message. Do you have Win8.1 on your machine? If so, do you have the msg command available to you? The writer of that askvg tutorial obviously had the msg command on his system but I don't know exactly what version of Win8.1 he was running.

Thanks,
Bill

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I use a work related laptop. I had Win8.1 a while back, but I'm back on Win7 currently, so I cannot test.
Hopefully another loungers will confirm this for you.

BTW: What about PowerShell?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Yes, I will use a Power Shell solution if I can't get the msg command to work but the msg approach looks so simple I would like to pursue it a tiny bit more! Actually I received a couple more power shell solutions in my message thread over in the Windows Secrets forum so I have several choices.

Thanks,
Bill

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I suspect that the msg command is only available in the "Professional" and higher edition of Windows, not in the "Home" edition.
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Yes, I was afraid that might be the case! I was hoping someone would say to go somewhere and download and install it!

Thanks, Hans
Bill

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can't simply download msg.exe (and if you could, it probably wouldn't work on the Home edition of Windows). There are alternatives, such as Net Send GUI and Netsend free net send command replacement for Windows Vista, 7 and 8, but a PowerShell script as suggested in the WSL is probably easier to use.
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks for the advice Hans. I'll go to work on one of the PowerShell solutions.

Bill

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Is that you who asked the same question at Task Scheduler will not allow Display Message Tasks! and got a PowerShell answer?

Joe
Joe

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Yes, that was me. Over there I never received an opinion about why the msg command was not present on my Win8 laptop so I asked over here to see is anyone here knew. Hans gave me an educated guess that sounds very reasonable.

Bill