Default programmes

aekyall
4StarLounger

Default programmes

Post by aekyall »

first a bit of background:

I have an elderly (90+) friend who has Windows 8.1 - on which he had a legacy program, Works 7, which he used to open a couple of old Works 7 database documents (.wdb). Unfortunately, he managed to 'screw up' his computer the other day and took it into a repair shop to get them to reload his software. As a result he lost his Works 7 program (along with much else, but that's another story).

I had a CD with Works 7 on it and gave it to him to reload the program on his computer - done with no problems (well, just a few! but I got him there in the end - haven't had the telephone bill yet!). I then e-mailed him one of his old .wdb databases that he had sent me a long time ago so that he could open it and resave on his computer. Unfortunately, whenever he tries to open the e-mail attachment it will only open in notepad, as gobbledegook!

I suspect that he doesn't have the correct file association set and his computer doesn't know which program to use to open the attachment. He says he doesn't get any option to save the file first and then open it through Works 7 (he's 90+ remember).

Now for the question (finally!): I have never had my hands on 8.1, (I have Windows 7) and need to know how easy, or not, it will be to get to the 'default programs' option and thus to the 'associate a file type with a program' option (assuming that's possible with 8.1?).

Would someone be kind enough to list out the steps I need to do in 8.1 please. This of course is always assuming that my analysis of why the database will not open in the first place is correct! :grin:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default programmes

Post by HansV »

If he's on the Desktop, click the Start button to switch to the Start screen.
Type Default Programs and press Enter.
This starts the Default Programs control panel.
There are 4 options:
S0545.png
Click the second one (Associate a file type or protocol with a program).
Wait until the list of extensions has been populated.
Select the .wdb extension, then click Change Program...
If Works is listed, select it.
Otherwise, click More Options.
If Works is listed now, select it.
Otherwise, scroll down and select 'Look for another app on this PC'.
Locate Works, then click OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: Default programmes

Post by aekyall »

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for :cheers:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith