Lost Touchpad Function

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Lost Touchpad Function

Post by Graeme »

Not sure if this is a Windows 8 problem or a pc hardware problem, my laptop runs Windows 8.

The touch pad was working fine until I plugged a mouse into a usb port. The usb mouse works fine but the touch pad no longer works with or without the mouse plugged in.

I've looked at the hardware in the Control Panel but the touchpad isn't listed.

Any clues where I might find it please?

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lost Touchpad Function

Post by HansV »

Have you checked the Mouse control panel? There may be a tab for the touchpad, usually to the right of the Hardware tab, with buttons to enable/disable the touchpad.

You can also check whether one of the function keys combined with the Fn key toggles the touchpad.

Yet another option: press the Windows key or click the Start button (if you have Windows 8.1).
Type Device Manager, then press Enter.
Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
If the touchpad is listed here, right-click it and select Enable from the context menu.

If none of these help, what is the brand and model of your laptop?
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Lost Touchpad Function

Post by Graeme »

Three possible solutions in eleven minutes!!! And the first one fixed it. This place is awesome!

Mouse Properties Device Settings tab had the touchpad disabled. So I have enabled it and both the pad and the mouse work now. There's a tick box to set the touch pad to disable when a usb mouse is detected, I've unticked that now.

Thanks Hans

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/