Windows 8 yeah or nay

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Windows 8 yeah or nay

Post by agibsonsw »

As a developer, would you purchase a Windows 8 computer or Windows 7? To make the question more specific, are there issues running Visual Studio, SQL Server, Office, or some IDEs?

It might actually be a little tricky to purchase a new laptop that doesn't have Windows 8, but I have no particular need to use the most current OS (with all that touchy-feely stuff).
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 8 yeah or nay

Post by HansV »

Undoubtedly the software that you develop will be used on Windows 8 sooner or later, so it may be a good idea to get a feeling for Microsoft's latest OS.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Hans. Thought you might say that :)

Yes, I'll have to get involved with Windows 8 at some point - might as well accept this, together with all its flaws and any compatibility problems.

Care to recommend a make or model?
I'm looking at around £400 (although I might go higher) and 15.6". I'm more interesting in a fast processor and ram then a large drive or fancy graphics.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For around £400 you can get a HP Pavilion G6 or a Dell Inspiron 15R or 17, to name some decent laptops. There are many more of course.

Microsoft's Surface Pro is a great tablet PC but quite a bit more expensive (the RT is around £400 but it's useless for your purpose since it doesn't run the full version of Windows 8).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks Hans

bjsatola
NewLounger

Post by bjsatola »

I run Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 on Windows 8, 64-bit and I have not had any problems so far. At first the new Windows was a bit of a shock, but you quickly get use to it. I honestly don't understand what all the complaining is about. The only thing I do not like is the duality of some of the programs (e.g. Skype app that runs on the UX and a completely separate desktop version of Skype). If you find that you don't like the layout there are a number of tweaks out there you can do... After using it for some time, I now wish I had a touch purely for the entertainment value (-_-)zzz

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you @bjsatola. That's reassuring.
Andy

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Someone was suggesting that rather than my buying an (Pavilion g6) i5 I could buy the i3 model and invest in a 256GB Samsung SSD drive. But these medium end laptops don't usually come wish an OS on DVD, so how would I go about transferring the OS to the SSD drive? I suppose I might have to find a provider to do this for me and pay them?

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

agibsonsw wrote:But these medium end laptops don't usually come wish an OS on DVD, so how would I go about transferring the OS to the SSD drive? I suppose I might have to find a provider to do this for me and pay them?
Several SSDs come with migration software, (usually with the retail version, some call it a "kit"; not the cheaper OEM version), or, perhaps in some cases, can be downloaded.

Such as this one: Samsung SSD - A Guide to using the Samsung Data Migration Tool [YouTube video]

The keyword here is "migration", you can do some searches; some do it semi-manually with backup software etc. other use migration software similar to the above.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you @Argus. That looks straight-forward. I suppose there is no rush then? I could do this at any time.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I went with this gorgeous Samsung Series 3 :)

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-p ... 0V5C-A0NUK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three silly questions:

1. There seems no obvious way to close one of the apps opened from a tile?
2. There is a "Samsung Marker" application that produces an error message on re-starting the computer. Any idea what this is and how I can remove it pl?
3. What happened to the Start/Search box? This was the best feature of Windows 7. There is one for the tiled-page but I want to use this from the Desktop.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

agibsonsw,
That's one of the new "features" of Win8. :evilgrin: :sad:
Also one of the reasons why I'm not rushing into Win 8.
Apparently there are some add-on third party? apps to put the Start button back where it belongs. Google should reveal them.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1. Press Alt+F4 or move the mouse pointer to the top center of the screen; it should change to a hand. Drag down to the bottom of the screen.
2. Search for Task Scheduler (see 3. for searching). Open Task Scheduler and remove "Make marker file".
3. Just start typing. Or press Windows key+F.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Hans, and thanks.

I found the Task Scheduler - had to search in "Settings" rather than Apps, Doh! (counter-intuitive). Delete that Make thing, dunno what it was but it wasn't working anyway :cheers:

Just typing in Desktop view doesn't, but does in the Tiles (or Start?) view. Might have to find some decent alternatives to the features I want BACK :laugh:

I found that Hand, but dragging down just shrinks the app, there is no close option(?)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

viking33 wrote:agibsonsw,
That's one of the new "features" of Win8. :evilgrin: :sad:
Also one of the reasons why I'm not rushing into Win 8.
Apparently there are some add-on third party? apps to put the Start button back where it belongs. Google should reveal them.
Hello. Yeah, I think I'm going hunt down some apps that get back the features that were most useful in W7 which all seem to have disappeared :groan:

Clicking a Tile seems to jump v. quickly into the app, I like that so far. Everything else.. could do without

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

agibsonsw wrote:3. What happened to the Start/Search box? This was the best feature of Windows 7. There is one for the tiled-page but I want to use this from the Desktop.
I have been using Win8 for a few months now and must admit that one gets used to the changes when in that boat. Although you can access any program by a quick search from the tile screen you do still miss that start button on the desktop. Windows 8.1 will have that back again, but in the meantime, the best app (IMHO) that adds the button back on Win8 is, Classic Shell. You should give it a try...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks Rudi. I really like this Clover Explorer alternative as well, with Chrome like tabs.

I've decided to hang on for a few days though. I need to discover W8 a little bit more. There will be features that I haven't come across yet.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

While on the subject, are there other add-ins that people recommend for Windows 8?

bjsatola
NewLounger

Post by bjsatola »

Yeah, like I said, it's confusing at first.

All apps can be closed by moving your cursor to the very top of the screen of the opened app, where your cursor changes into a hand. Then you just click, hold, and drag the window to the very bottom of the screen. If you want to see what apps are open just move your cursor to the upper left corner and then drag down. You can also go between the desktop and the new UX this way, but it is much easier just to toggle between the UX and desktop by simply pressing the windows key. As for the search box just start typing from the UX interface and it brings up search results for apps, settings, and files. Basically you just need to view the UX as the new start button. Instead of having a folder tree structure, however, they just use tiles instead. It just takes time to adjust. Just watch some YouTube videos on it...

Since you are working with a new computer, I would suggest starting with a clean slate if you have the operating disks (bloatware, ugh). Unfortunately this might not be an option for you, since the manufacture likely used an OEM installation disk (i.e. they only give you a recovery disk). When they validate/register the operating system with Microsoft, it gets registered to the hardware components of your computer. So if you change your hard drive, for instance by cloning your existing drive onto a new SSD, the recovery disc will no longer work :/ Windows will think that you tried to install it on another computer and you will start getting all kinds of warning messages. If you run into this type of situation then Microsoft's support personal can take you through the re-validation steps (although technically they are not supposed to because of the OEM licensing). Just something to be aware of...

Also if you do get the SSD those kits usually only include a USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter (or the like) and some software to do the cloning. You can save some money buy just getting the straight drive, and then buying the adapter separately (SSD gets enough power through the USB, so you just need the straight connection with no additional power). There is some open-source cloning software that you can use too. If you are unsure, there is nothing wrong with getting the kit. After you do it once you will see that there is not too much to it...

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

agibsonsw wrote:Thanks Rudi. I really like this Clover Explorer alternative as well, with Chrome like tabs.
I pointed out ClassicShell, not for the Windows Explorer part of it, but rather for the start menu option it presents. Its highly customisable and works wonderfully. It also contains that built in search feature you referred to. See these images of the various start menu skins...

BTW: As you mention, Clover is great.
I've been using it for months now...esp. since I use Chrome too...now it makes the two feel the same.
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.