"Exporting" Facebook Friends

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

"Exporting" Facebook Friends

Post by Bigaldoc »

In Lounge Matters is this thread in which I requested that this new forum be created. There are several pro and con posts in the thread, but you might want to read it for background: Social Networking.

One of the things that I've been doing is "copying" a list of my Facebook friends to my local drive. In the above thread is a helpful recommendation from fellow Lounger Stuckling1. He mentioned an application called Outlook Social Connector in his post here. If you use Outlook for email, the Social Connector is probably something good to use. In my case I do not use Outlook for email, so the application has no function for me, at least not yet.

What I use my Facebook Friend List for is to keep up with hometown, birthday, place of work and that sort of thing, which is just something I like to do. It's certainly not "mission critical" kinda stuff. I don't care about email addresses or phone numbers, at least not now.

Today, Stuckling1 pointed me to this application which DOES DO exactly what I want: Friends to Gmail. The stated purpose of this app is to grab a copy of your Friend List in order that you can import it into your contacts list in Gmail. Well frankly, I don't do that either, BUT the application creates a local drive .CSV file which I've used locally to load a spreadsheet of exactly what I needed.

The .CSV file doesn't contain email addresses or phone numbers (yet), but I don't need that info.

Last but not least, I did do a test import not only into Gmail contacts but Outlook as well. Here's my big "attaboy" to my new friend, Stuckling1, for all his help!!!

:clapping: :thankyou:

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Re: "Exporting" Facebook Friends

Post by stuckling1 »

Good to know it's worked for you :)

Of purely incidental interest is this app created by Vienna University Maths department, which creates a cool looking map of all your friends and their connections. It can be quite interesting to see the patterns in your friends' friends, and can provide a bit of "oh I never knew Fred knows Joe.. What a small world!"

https://www.facebook.com/MyFnetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: "Exporting" Facebook Friends

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, I'll check that one out for fun.

The only "glitch" I didn't notice at first in the friends exportation is that for some reason ONE of my friends isn't getting captured in the list. I've tried it three or four different times and the same friend is always missing from the list.

I've written to the author to see if he can figure out what the problem is.