salad-in-a-jar

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

salad-in-a-jar

Post by ChrisGreaves »

My new doctor remains my new doctor, for now, because he got honest and admitted that my blood-pressure was over-the-limit only because the dastardly profession have lowered the limit over the past 10-20 years.
I see it as yet-another-scam to sell more at-home blood-pressure monitors, Usounds, XRays, CATscans, MRUS and when given half a chance, colonoscopies.

"What has this to do with salads?", I hear you ask.

Well, the scams also involve one going on a medication-for-life regime, and I'd die before I subscribed to that, so I'm now cycling at lunchtime (instead of putting the bike away when it is too dark to bicycle in the early morning), climbing the stairs to my 4th floor apartment, and making more soups and salads.
Also eating out less (Everything in a restaurant starts off wth salt and sugar, then adds bulk).

My salads are composed of leftovers and fresh stuff.
Today I tossed in a bowl of left-over steamed rice from last night's supper, two bowls of chopped up home-grown mung bean sprouts, a tub of cooked red-kidney beans, 3/4 a jar of home-bottled beetroot chunks, a handful of frozen peas (roughly a handful; they're too cold to sit and count them) and a handful of raisins. Lightly drenched in my own oil/vinegar/sugar dressing, stirred, then scooped into 1/2 and 1/4-pint preserving jars.

Stored in the fridge, they sit crisp and fresh for a week.
The smaller jars make individual servings; the large jars make a meal or can be used as the first course of a meal with a visitor.
Also handy when I'm walking up the street to a friend's for supper "I'll bring a salad".
HPIM3388 (Small).JPG
Coming soon: How's that pineapple tree coming along?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle