A nice bit of tongue

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

A nice bit of tongue

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20220208_180822_HDR.jpg
20220208_180827.jpg
My mother cooked tongue, mainly because it was too hot in the house in summer, so she cooked it late at night while we were asleep on the lawn, and then we ate it it cold, sliced, for lunch & supper.
It has to be 55 years since I ate cooked tongue, and I am looking for basic principles here.
various web sites suggest:-

Scrub the tongue under cold water, then place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, skimming off the scum that rises to the surface

Boil for three hours ... until you see the outer layer start to peel off.

Continue to boil until tender – a knife should easily pierce the thickest part of it. This takes about 3 hours for ox, pig and veal tongue, or 1–1.5 hours for lamb and smaller tongues. Once cooked, it will have turned white and the top of the tongue will start to blister.

Remove the tongue from the liquor, and when cool enough to handle peel off and discard the rubbery skin. Make sure you do this whilst still warm as it’s near impossible to do cold. Remove the rough, bony end of the tongue and discard.

I am looking at 1.5Kg or 3 to 4 lbs here.
No plans this first time for the onion/garlic/herbs nonsense. I think to just cook it and eat it sliced, cold. I have scads of chutneys etc for this first go-around.

I am hungry for "mistakes I have made" comments.
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: A nice bit of tongue

Post by PJ_in_FL »

That takes the words right out of my mouth!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The only use of tongue in my past was to add one or two tongues or hearts to a batch of "Ground Meat" to make it appear Redder.
We did this to beef, pork, and lamb, including the meat to make beef and pork sausage.

I worked in a small grocery store with a fresh meat counter for a summer and learned a few of the tricks of the trade!
:evilgrin: :bagged: :burga:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 15:53
The only use of tongue in my past was to add one or two tongues or hearts to a batch of "Ground Meat" to make it appear Redder.
Dave, you've never lived (grin!)
Tongu20220209_123817.jpg
I ended up with a huge (to me) slab of cold meat easy to slice for sandwiches or to dice for a salad.
This is all muscle, no fat or bone.
Details here:

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle