Post by Skitterbug »

1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion chopped up <I like a lot of onion>
2 quarts of canned tomato pieces plus the juice
1 - 2 tablespoon chili powder <depends on my taste buds for the day! :grin: >
salt to taste
1 tablespoon sugar to cut the acidic-ness of the tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans

Brown the ground beef and onions, add remaining ingredients simmer about an hour. We like to crunch up crackers into our "soup" and sometimes put cheddar cheese on top! Enjoy!

I said it'd be simple! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Okay then - a very simple Chili soup recipe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:2 cans kidney beans
2 simple for me.
Can I replace the cans of beans with pre-soaked Red beans or Navy beans? I ask because I maintain vast quantities of those and always have them on hand, and rarely buy stuff in cans or packets.
P.S. Even though you are a wuss, your tears seem to have moved Stuart, so Good on yer!
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 27 Jan 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
2 simple for me.
Can I replace the cans of beans with pre-soaked Red beans or Navy beans?
make the swap.
Chris, I am sure you can (ha ha!) You will need to adjust your cooking time to make sure that the beans are cooked.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
2 simple for me.
Can I replace the cans of beans with pre-soaked Red beans or Navy beans? I ask because I maintain vast quantities of those and always have them on hand, and rarely buy stuff in cans or packets.
P.S. Even though you are a wuss, your tears seem to have moved Sturt, so Good on yer!
I agree with Johbot - you can put whatever type of beans into the recipe that you might enjoy but adjust the time for them. In fact you can do with this recipe whatever you like - you can make it thicker, put it over spaghetti, add meatballs, etc. IMHO that's what recipes are for - guidelines which can be adjusted to suit the taste! :grin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

johbot wrote:Chris, I am sure you can (ha ha!)
Ouch! That one fell on my foot!

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

When I have a little bit left over I bulk it out with whatever else I have (mushrooms, tomatoes, grated carrot etc) and spread it over corn chips and then sprinkle with cheese and bake. Nachos!!! Yum!!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:... put it over spaghetti,
This is strange! I made a huge batch of baked beans (navy) on the weekend, but added too much garlic (I Know, I know, ...) and so pureed half the batch to use as a sauce over pasta. Then you post the same idea.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:... put it over spaghetti,
This is strange! I made a huge batch of baked beans (navy) on the weekend, but added too much garlic (I Know, I know, ...) and so pureed half the batch to use as a sauce over pasta. Then you post the same idea.
I love garlic in baked navy beans...it's like the recipe for Senate Bean Soup which is totally terrific. I even got lazy and found me some at The Vermont Country Store ....gosh hope nobody I know is reading this :innocent:

Leftover chili is sooo great to turn into enchiladas, 7 layer burritos etc. I especially enjoy microwaving it all together for putting atop chili hotdogs yummmmm

The best baked beans I ever ate were made from soaking navy beans and baking them for 6 hours in the oven with all the fixin's for Boston Baked Beans....oh yeh eaten with brown bread no less. ( I found the brown bread--in a can still) at The Vermont Country Store as well. Is there a common denominator here?
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

My thought with Chili is that beans should not be used. The only reason that they were ever in chili was as a filler. Meat was expensive, so beans was a great way to make it filling without increasing the cost dramatically. A good example of this is Wendy's (a fast food chain here in the states if you do not know it). They started making chili in their restaurants as a way to use up the left over hamburger from the previous day. Originally there were no beans, basically just meat and sauce. Then it got popular and they had to add the beans to keep the price down since they were now using so much meat that they never had enough left over. :(
Who will you Inspire today?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

With beans - without beans - plenty of garlic - put the leftovers on top of whatever I can find in the fridge! Makes me no difference......all I can say is that all of a sudden I'm hungry! Again! :laugh: I hope there aren't any food cops around.......:grin: