Sansel, caraway, celery, aniseed etc.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Sansel, caraway, celery, aniseed etc.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cooking
I have been given some herbs/spices and would like suggestions of what to do with them. No links, please; I already know how to search the web, but I’m interested in Loungers who are using this stuff, and of course, how they use it:-

(1) Jar of red garlic Sansel; appears to be something I should shake over chicken breasts prior to baking.
(2) Jar of cloves. I think I’d use a few when baking an apple pie.
(3) Bottle of imitation coconut extract. I’d probably add a dash to a cake or cookie mix, as I now add a dash of imitation vanilla
(4) Baglet of Caraway seed; I suspect I could sprinkle some of this on a salad.
(5) Baglet of Celery seed; I suspect I could sprinkle some of this on a salad.
(6) Baglet of Aniseed. I like licorice, and I think that that is “Anis”. I am guessing that I could add a ½ teaspoon into a cake mixture to give the cake a licorice-like flavour.

(signed) “Open to suggestions” of Toronto, but these past two days, Collingwood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Sansel, caraway, celery, aniseed etc.

Post by Rudi »

After reading your post all I can think of now is a hot slice of fresh apple pie with the aroma of clove perforating the air. EPIC!!!

(So, what were we chatting about?)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Assuming that the cloves are whole, I've used them in cooking hams. Inserted on the upper outside in a pattern an inch or so apart (or maybe 250-300 mm since they don't have inches in the GWN).

I use both celery seed and celery flakes in my sauces for chicken cacciatore and meat balls.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Umm, that's 25-30 mm, Bob.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Whoops. Just goes to show why we should all use inches instead of those unreliable xmeter thingamajigs.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

PaulB wrote:Umm, that's 25-30 mm, Bob.
...or its just an enormous ham; which shouldn't be surprising being in the big state of T.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Good point, Rudi. I hadn't considered that. A bit like the lady who asked the butcher for half a kilometer of Italian sausage.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:After reading your post all I can think of now is a hot slice of fresh apple pie with the aroma of clove perforating the air. EPIC!!!
But Rudi, the Sansel is garlic-flavoured.
Can't you at least think back to the last time you barbecued steaks on the patio ...?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Assuming that the cloves are whole, I've used them in cooking hams. Inserted on the upper outside in a pattern an inch or so apart (or maybe 250-300 mm since they don't have inches in the GWN). I use both celery seed and celery flakes in my sauces for chicken cacciatore and meat balls.
Thanks Bob.
Celery seed in sauces. I'll give that a try on my next batch of meat sauce.
Suppose a pound (half a kilogram) of lean ground beef; how many teaspoons of celery seed?
Thanks
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Whoops. Just goes to show why we should all use inches instead of those unreliable xmeter thingamajigs.
Don't sweat the details, Bob.
Seems to me if you used 250mm of cloves, Rudi at least would be happily mmmmmm'ing! :laugh:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
BobH wrote:Assuming that the cloves are whole, I've used them in cooking hams. Inserted on the upper outside in a pattern an inch or so apart (or maybe 250-300 mm since they don't have inches in the GWN). I use both celery seed and celery flakes in my sauces for chicken cacciatore and meat balls.
Thanks Bob.
Celery seed in sauces. I'll give that a try on my next batch of meat sauce.
Suppose a pound (half a kilogram) of lean ground beef; how many teaspoons of celery seed?
Thanks
Chris

Howdy, Chris! (still haven't forgotten I back-channel issue and will get back to it eventually)

When I make a sauce, I make just the vegetable portion with spices and herbs tomatoes in various forms etc. I then add that sauce to whatever meat I've prepared (chicken, beef but rarely pork or lamb). I really don't do much measuring except at the level of how many cans of tomatoes of or sauce or paste or mushrooms. Herbs and spices I add by habit and by eye. Sometimes I get too much salt, but rarely. I do use copious amounts of minced garlic. I would try your Sansel to amplify what I mince. Celery seeds are tiny. I might use as much as a tablespoon (what's that metrically?) to ~2 or 2+ quarts of other ingredients. I usually sprinkle celery leaves generously across the top of the pan (5 qt. Dutch oven).

Sorry that I couldn't answer your question more specifically.

Cheers.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... Celery seeds are tiny. I might use as much as a tablespoon
Thanks Bob.
I might start off with a dessert-spoon on my next batch. :cheers: