Now this I find disturbing:-

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Now this I find disturbing:-

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DSCN4062.JPG
The book, “The Secret of our Success” by Joseph Henrich is about our human culture driving our genetic evolution; culture changes the way we ARE.
“Spices are antimicrobial.”
“Recipes apear to use spices in ways that increase their effectiveness. ... other spices, like cilantro, whose antimicrobial properties might be demaged by heating are added fresh in recipes.”
There’s more, but some of the statements are that combinations of spices are effective where isolated spices are not.
Now for years I have bragged about claimed my resilience to ingredients based on my mother’s ability to substitute.`
No ground ginger? Use a bit of nutmeg. No sugar? Use molasses. No molasses? Use treacle. No black pepper? Use a smidgin of paprika.
Henrich makes the good point that we are dependent on cooked foods now, but that very few of us know (a) how to start a fire and (b) which plants (outside the supermarket) are not poisonous.
Rceipes for cooking, he says, are the direct result of hundreds of generations of trial and error.
That sounds to me that recipes ought not to be modified at all.
And yet I still wonder about recipes that call for what seem to be like whimisical lists of ingredients.
I am likely to reduce the number of ingredients to my ginger cake recipe, perhaps removing nutmeg and cinammon, leaving only ground ginger. But maybe the combination of spices, in a precise ratio, is essential to the cake.
(signed) “Un-nerved” of Toronto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Now this I find disturbing:-

Post by HansV »

Of course you can vary the ingredients of a recipe. Do you really think that the first humans who cooked food micro-managed the proportions.

In many cases, the change will work fine. Sometimes, the result will be "off" in an unpleasant way - you learn from that. And once in a while you may hit on a great new combination...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:...In many cases, the change will work fine. Sometimes, the result will be "off" in an unpleasant way - you learn from that.
Henrich makes the point (with several examples) of failures to follow the tribal tradition which (failures) have resulted in death.
I was fascinated by some of the necessary steps which are not at all obvious to the beholder, but which, by trial and error, have been adopted by a culture.
And Henrich points out that "you learn from that" is not always true, especially if you die from diseases which were thwarted by the tribal culture recipe, but were not thwarted by taking a short cut.

And yes, I figure that I can increase or decrease the ground-ginger content to suit my (or Rudi's) taste, and as you so helpfully pointed out in this thread cooking the pineapple can reduce the allergic impact.
Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Two observations:
First, the author recommends using cilantro for its antimicrobial action; yet here we have warnings against using cilantro harvested in Mexico because it is often tainted by poor health practices of the harvesters (think feces).

Second, I have known how to start a fire since the age of 6 (but I'm older than dirt) and have studied harvesting wild plants that are edible. While I am no expert - and certainly not about plants where I now live - I was quite good at harvesting edible plants in my native North Carolina. Maybe I'm one of those things the evolutionists call a 'throwback' (or maybe that's just what my wife wants to do with me).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

But, BobH, we still get foods from other countries that still use "Honey Wagons" and like!

People have been using this natural fertilizer for 1,000's of years. It is mainly here in the US of A that have a problem with this method.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Two observations:
First, the author recommends using cilantro for its antimicrobial action; yet here we have warnings against using cilantro harvested in Mexico because it is often tainted by poor health practices of the harvesters (think feces).
Sure, but those are two distinct situations, right?

(1) Cilantro is good to eat.

(2) Eating contaminated food is not a good thing to be doing.

FWIW One of the reasons I buy bags of apples now - instead of picking them out of huge bins - is that I figure that the bagged apples haven't been indiviually pawed by my fellow shoppers.
(Another reason is that I don't have to waste the remaining days of my life removing those stupid adhesive stickers ....)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

ChrisGreaves wrote: ...
(Another reason is that I don't have to waste the remaining days of my life removing those stupid adhesive stickers ....)
I join you in that frustration. I read an article some time back that fruit growers were going to a form of laser burned tattoos of UPC codes on individual fruit. I wonder what ever happened to that idea?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs