establishing two way communication

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

establishing two way communication

Post by Skitterbug »

I don't know if I am going to ask this correctly but here goes a try. My internet speed became erratic. Sometimes I could connect to the web without any problems, sometimes it would take a minute or two and sometimes my browser would hang in an unresponsive state. My modem still flickered as if it was working correctly. :sigh:

So being me, I unconnected all the cables and unplugged the appliances from the power source and gave everything a chance to calm down. Then I reconnected my equipment going from the internet cable to the modem, etc. until I had everything going again. It seemed to help for all of a few minutes and then I'd be right back into erratic mode. So I finally gave up and called the provider. First thing they wanted was for me to do the things I did. Then they wanted me to connect the modem directly to the computer and run a speed test. The test gave an okay download speed but hung on the upload speed. So then they said they wanted to run a test with my modem and it would take a few minutes. Once they did that, my speed was decent for both download and upload and has been normal for more than 24 hours. :fanfare:

So now what I am curious about, does an ISP provider run these modem checks on a regular basis as their standard operating procedure to be sure that connectivity is working as it should? Or will this be something I'll end up needing them check from time to time?

The kicker was when the tech asked me if I wanted to add "turbo speed" to my service for extra $$. I said no. I only wanted them to make sure that what I am currently paying for actually works! The tech replied that if I didn't have any other questions, then the chat would be complete. I let the chat end with a simple thank you.

So any thoughts about my situation? Has anyone else ever had trouble like this?

Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: establishing two way communication

Post by HansV »

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out that the DNS server provided as default by my ISP had become flaky. I got the IP addresses for an alternative DNS server and that solved the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out that the DNS server provided as default by my ISP had become flaky. I got the IP addresses for an alternative DNS server and that solved the problem.
You got these alternate IP DNS server addresses from your ISP? I doubt that mine would provide me anything else beside the two IP numbers that I see in my network panel. These were entered automatically and have never changed.
Hunting for information about DNS servers on the web brought up several hits, one being an offering for Google Public DNS. My reaction to this was what's in it for them if someone used their supplied public DNS server?

Thanks for your response!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Google Public DNS is a good DNS, OpenDNS is another one.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:Google Public DNS is a good DNS, OpenDNS is another one.
Thanks for your verification of Google's safety. I'll check out your link as well. I have to figure out how to enter the DNS numbers and since it is MAC and my Airport Extreme router, I'll need to do some searching!

Thanks again! :yep:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:Google Public DNS is a good DNS, OpenDNS is another one.
OpenDNS is an interesting site and it has "how to" help for Apple Airport router. I decided to give their DNS server a try. So far, so good. :thumbup: They also give instructions for clearing the DNS cache for MACs. Thank you very much!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I've always had a lot of time for openDNS, they provide a great service and the source of their funding is pretty transparent.
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

StuartR wrote:I've always had a lot of time for openDNS, they provide a great service and the source of their funding is pretty transparent.
I appreciate a well done website that is "packed full" of useful information - much like our Eileen's lounge! And I appreciate the wonderful people that share their knowledge! :clapping:
:cheers: and :chocciebar: to all! :yep: and :thankyou: