Unable to network two Windows 7 computers

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Unable to network two Windows 7 computers

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I am unable to network my two Windows 7 computers. Please see the attachment for further detailed information based on StuartR's procedure: Troubleshooting shares on a home network

Prior to a custom install of Windows 7 Professional on my main computer (MD 8386XL), necessitated by multiple infections of a Trojan, a known virus and an unknown virus, networking with my laptop (MD 96630), both by wireless and Ethernet, was trouble free. The performance of the main computer had previously become erratic and I considered that a custom install would be helpful in restoring performance as well as removing all traces of the infections from the operating system. In fact performance is much better but with the loss networking. As the performance of my laptop (MD 96630) remained satisfactory after similar infections were removed I have not thought it necessary to custom install Windows 7 Home Premium on that computer.

Sometime ago when networking two computers with different Windows operating systems I had the successful guidance of StuartR’s networking trouble shooting procedure. Again I have resorted to his procedure and I have interspersed in the attachment the information required at each step. However from the error message displayed above I wonder if the security imposed by Windows 7 permissions is the cause of the non-connectivity. The computers `see’ each other but do not `talk’ together.

Incidentally HomeGroup doesn't work as although each computer has joined the HomeGroup with a common password the prescence of the computers is not apparent to each other.

I am hoping for some help from the Lounge to resolve this issue. The check list follows and I will be happy to provide any further information that may be needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Unable to network two Windows 7 computers

Post by StuartR »

Based on the error message, it looks like you don't have the same username and password on both computers. Please double check that you log on to both computers with EXACTLY the same username and password.
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:Based on the error message, it looks like you don't have the same username and password on both computers. Please double check that you log on to both computers with EXACTLY the same username and password.
Thank you for your response. The user account names on both computers are now exactly the same i.e. Malcolm; neither computer has a password. On both computers in Control Panel | User Accounts there is one account only with the type Administrator. As a result of making the user accounts name the same the error messages have changed.

On the main computer the following is displayed when trying to access TESTNET2:
Open Folder
\\TESTNET2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. OK

On the laptop computer the the following is displayed when trying to access the main computer:
Network Error
Windows cannot access \\TESTNET
You do not have permission to access \\TESTNET. Contact your network administrator to request access. Close

Can you take this further please? If it is a matter of permissions I would have to ask at least for guidance on which and where. Also when testing from the command prompt two system errors came up with codes 67 and 5. Are these significant?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

MalcolmWalker wrote:...neither computer has a password...
I have never been able to get windows networking to work properly on computers without passwords. The behavior is not consistent and some people claim that this works for them some of the time.
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:
MalcolmWalker wrote:...neither computer has a password...
I have never been able to get windows networking to work properly on computers without passwords. The behavior is not consistent and some people claim that this works for them some of the time.
Success! My thanks for pointing me to a most satisfactory solution. I haven't usually password protected my computers and at least I was given the option to `Remember my credentials' when connecting via the network.

Thank you again - your assistance is much appreciated!

Malcolm