Shared printer woes

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Shared printer woes

Post by Pilgrim »

I have added my wife's Canon iP 4500 printer, which is connected via USB to her Mac G5 Powerbook. On my Vista Ultimate PC I have installed the appropriate drivers. But when I send a print job to that printer, it is displayed in the queue ready to be printed but then within a couple seconds it shows as being deleted and nothing gets printed. If I go to "Control Panel/Printers" and right-click on this printer and select "Open", I get the following error:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00006d1)"

Can someone give me some help with this problem?

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Shared printer woes

Post by StuartR »

Jeff,

How have you connected your Vista PC to this printer? Is it a USB connection on your PC, or have you shared it from the Mac and then connected via the network?

If you look at the printer properties what information can you see about the port?

If it is a network connection to the MAC then you could try the solution in this article.
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Hi Stuart,

1. The printer is connected to the Mac via USB. So, I am trying to use it via Intranet (network).

2. The port I created and using is: \\192.161.1.27\Canon iP4500 series

3. The article is very similar to others I have read re: configuring a printer on Vista that is connected to another machine, which I followed and which explains why I'm using the port above in #2.

I'm not getting the error 0x00006d1 any longer when clicking on "Open" for some reason... no complaints here!! Image But, I am still not able to print anything. The print job shows up in the queue, sits there for a few seconds and then disappears, which gives the appearance that all is as it should be and the document is printing. However, nothing prints.

I do have access to the Mac (192.168.1.27) and can move files in both directions with Vista without any problem. Both machines have "shares" enabled for both printers, files, media, etc.
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I know absolutely nothing about MAC networking, but I wonder if it might be worth changing the printer share name to remove the spaces and reduce the length to 8 characters. Can you try sharing it as iP4500 and connecting to that instead of the name you are currently using?
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

StuartR wrote:I know absolutely nothing about MAC networking, but I wonder if it might be worth changing the printer share name to remove the spaces and reduce the length to 8 characters. Can you try sharing it as iP4500 and connecting to that instead of the name you are currently using?
Image I'll have to look to see if the share name can be changed on her end. The name was given by default when the option to share it was enabled. IF it can be changed, I'll give your suggestion a try.

Oh, and I know less than absolutely nothing about Mac networking. Every time I have to do something on that infernal machine I end up walking away muttering to myself. Image
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

One last thought. Is the port you have created DEFINITELY a local port, and not a "standard TCP/IP port"?
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

StuartR wrote:One last thought. Is the port you have created DEFINITELY a local port, and not a "standard TCP/IP port"?
Yep.... it is a local port which I created myself according to the destructions I read on numerous websites including the one you referenced. I have even tried LPT1, LPT2, etc., but they were total duds.
Jeff