Does 'wireless power' depend on laptop battery voltage?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Does 'wireless power' depend on laptop battery voltage?

Post by John Gray »

There's a rather obscure statement in an advertisement for a PC (manufactured in Germany) which got me rather intrigued.

"Latest wireless LAN 802.11n-standard technology with up to 300 Mbit/s
For optimum usage you need an IEEE 802.11n-router, which is not included.
300 MBit/s. is a gross value. On charge-level max. 75 MBit/s. are reached."

The final sentence seems to indicate that the wireless data throughput might vary according to the state of charge of the laptop battery (or whether the laptop was running off the mains). Or could it have been a mistranslation from the German? (Yes, I know this is an ordinary PC system unit, not a laptop, but presumably it is a piece of stock wording.)

Or has someone a better explanation of the meaning?

(PS In the photograph, note the ingenious use of a keyboard-shaped side panel... :laugh: )
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Does 'wireless power' depend on laptop battery voltage?

Post by StuartR »

I guess the PC could put the Wireless NIC into sleep mode when it isn't expecting to transmit a packet for a while. See KB928152.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Hmmm. Interesting!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I would think it is a mistranslation, referring not to the charge but to the signal strength.
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with Stuart, but I can't understand why they would mention running on battery power, and what consequence that may have, in and ad, even less so in an ad for a desktop. What they do mention from time to time in the fine print is that something is the max rate or theoretical rate etc.

At first it looked like "super 3G", LTE (Long Term Evolution) theoretical download and upload rates (300/75). If you want a German sentence :smile: and that interpretation, look at this:
"Theoretisch können mit LTE/Long Term Evolution Geschwindigkeiten beim Download von bis zu 300 Megabit pro Sekunde (Mbit/s) und in Uploadrichtung von bis zu 75 Mbit/s erreicht werden."
From here. But I don't know why on earth they should mention that. :grin:

It seems to be talking about some net bit rate, I know very little about Wi-Fi-magic, line-of-sight connections etc. What do I know, it should have a theoretical rate of 600 MBit/s, under very special, certain configurations on the 40 MHz channel, but net bit rates, useful bit rates?

Compare this sentence, from the same site you linked to, here:
"For full performance you need an IEEE 802.11 n-router (not included) 300 Mbit/s is a gross rate; in working process the net rate will be up to 75 Mbit/s)."
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.