Dual Band Router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
sobershea
2StarLounger

Dual Band Router

Post by sobershea »

I just replaced my old dual band router with a Linksys E8450. Hovering over the Internet icon on the desktop displays linksys5 2 while the laptop displays linksys5. Is the desktop displaying that it knows the 2 bands are available? Just checking to make sure I set the router up OK.

TIA

:scratch:
Sherry

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Dual Band Router

Post by StuartR »

What did you enter as the network name on each device?
Is it possible that the desktop previously had a network called Linksys5, so it has added the extra digit to distinguish this?

You can edit the network name in the registry if you really care about this.
See https://www.howtogeek.com/364291/how-to ... indows-10/
StuartR

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Can I delete any profiles that aren't my Linksys? I have one for my old router but also have some that just don't make sense. These are questionable: xfinitywifi , Cablewifi, DESKTOP-H6P4F3T 8522, DIRECT-JGDESKTOP-H6P4F3TKZEd. Plus I do have 2 linksys5 along with 1 linksys2. I have never had xfinity. What are the ramifications of removing the ones I don't recognize as well as the duplicate linksys5?
Sherry

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Could they be other networks in your neighborhood?
Regards,
John

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

John, I do see neighbors networks when I click on the network/wifi icon on the task bar. But I can't think why neighbors would show up in my registry. I just deleted the xfinitywifi and the cablewifi without any resulting problems. :grin:
Sherry

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sherry, if you have an iPad or iPhone you can check your network names for your router. Go to Settings > Wifi and you will see that wiff i either on or off and the name of the network you are connected to plus any other network names under My Networks. One will be your 5GHz link and the other the 2.4GHz link. You will also so see names under Other Networks that are ones coming from routers in your neighborhood.

HTH :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

sobershea wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 17:46
Can I delete any profiles that aren't my Linksys? I have one for my old router but also have some that just don't make sense. These are questionable: xfinitywifi , Cablewifi, DESKTOP-H6P4F3T 8522, DIRECT-JGDESKTOP-H6P4F3TKZEd. Plus I do have 2 linksys5 along with 1 linksys2. I have never had xfinity. What are the ramifications of removing the ones I don't recognize as well as the duplicate linksys5?
I would leave them alone on the grounds that they are doing no harm, but I see that this advice is too late now
StuartR

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Thank you, Stuart, BobH, and jstevens! I was just being curious on a freeing cold Sunday. Stay warm! :snow:
Sherry