" ... unable to find a connection ..." (Partly Solved)

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

" ... unable to find a connection ..." (Partly Solved)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Obviously I'm connected to the internet; obvious to ME because I'm posting this on the same computer that supposedly has problems.

My current problem is trying to register Office 2003 after installation (see attached JPG).
Prior to this exercise my Word 2000 application that compiles and uploads web pages failed to establish a connection, which I found odd, because I could d/l and reply to email with Thunderbird, browse with FireFox etc.

It seems to me that some part of Windows/Office doesn't recognize the connection that other applications (Mozilla) do recognize.

FileZilla connects using the same user/password that my Word2000 application uses.

I have ZoneAlarm installed, but can't recall making any edicts/changes regarding Windows or Office products lately.

I am getting close to that time of year when I feel like re-installing Windows XP any way, but before I do, has anyone a quick-fix for this?

My reasoning is that if I telephone for an installation code, the Word 2000 application will probably still fail to connect, and I'll be no better off.

Thanks.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 25 Sep 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: " ... unable to find a connection ..."

Post by DaveA »

I would check the program out going settings of ZoneAlarm. Makes sure youu look at what is being blocked.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:I would check the program out going settings of ZoneAlarm. Makes sure youu look at what is being blocked.
Did that. For all Microsoft products (office, Windows installer etc.) made sure that everything had at least a question mark, i.e. got rid of all red Xs, still no good.

Ho hum.

It must be something I ate/installed.
Time for a re-install of Win XP.

If it's not too much to ask, is it Acronis that I use to burn a copy of the Clean installation?
I'm getting leery now that Win XP support has/is being withdrawn.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Time for a re-install of Win XP.
Strange.
I have a checklist "rebuild.doc" and decided to print a hard-copy for use while I reinstalled Windows XP. It's worth 4 sheets of paper to get the job done right.
I decided to print it to PDF first, so PrimoPDF fired up and asked me if I wanted to CONNECT.
I have nothing to lose, so I said YES.

Now my Word application connects regularly and FTPs web pages and images.

And I have been able to register Word 2003 over the internet.
Flawlessly.

So something/someone (i.e. me) must have disabled some sort of connection.

Now I'm all fired up ready to do a clean installation and not sure whether that's the best way to spend a Saturday night .....

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: " ... unable to find a connection ..." (Partly Solved)

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... which I found odd, because I could d/l and reply to email with Thunderbird, browse with FireFox etc.

It seems to me that some part of Windows/Office doesn't recognize the connection that other applications (Mozilla) do recognize.
[...]
I have ZoneAlarm installed, but can't recall making any edicts/changes regarding Windows or Office products lately.
One thing that comes to mind that can create similar problems is if Internet Explorer is set to offline mode (or Windows Media Player; one of them is enough, the other goes offline as well).

For example, I've seen problems using Adobe Readers internal update feature, when IE is offline, but I think Adobe has changed that now; and I think some older version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware had problems if IE/WMP were offline, or it could have been some other software.

The end result: if one uses, for example, Firefox one will never notice this, doesn't matter if IE is allowed in the firewall, or if all software is allowed, since some of them depend on "The Internet connection" :grin: being online. So, in the, now old, example with Adobe Reader it could drive you bonkers, checking firewall rules etc. if you didn’t check the online/offline mode in IE/WMP.

But I guess it's moot now.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

So something/someone (i.e. me) must have disabled some sort of connection.
It was one of those RED x's that was blocking your access through a Office product, and you deleted the blocking so ZA asked for your permission.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... if Internet Explorer is set to offline mode (or Windows Media Player; one of them is enough, the other goes offline as well).
Bingo!
Argus, Thanks for the mental nudge.

Yesterday in fiddling around with Outlook I had checked on (or off?) a box that said "Work in offline mode".
I was plagued last week by the appearance of a pop-up that said "exiting in 15 seconds" or similar, that didn't used to happen, and was slowly working my way through various options in Outlook 2000 in a simple attempt to prevent Outlook popping up the message box.
I bet that that setting (offline on/off) parallels the setting you mention in IE.
But I guess it's moot now.
I have meanwhile installed Office 2003 and since next Tuesday is canceled, I'll use that day as a day to rebuild my system from the ground up, have a shot at slip-streaming, image files etc. and upgrade myself to Office 2003.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:... so ZA asked for your permission.
Thanks DaveA, but, er, I think not.
ZA didn't ask my permission (I'm getting pretty used to ZA now).
Just a determined "NO" from the Office 2003 installation procedures; ZA didn't even get a look in.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I bet that that setting (offline on/off) parallels the setting you mention in IE.
It could be, but I don't know. Usually when an e-mail client is offline, it doesn't have an effect on the status of the PC. I don't remember how Outlook works with that (Outlook Express is a different animal, with its connections to IE.).

If IE/WMP are in offline mode we also get problems with another thing; watching some videos on the web, embedded in a page and using Firefox doesn't matter. It can take a second or two before one realise that it's not about JavaScript, cookies etc. it's the IE/WMP being offline. :groan:

In other cases, than the Office installer, reg. software, Word tries to give you a hint (and explanation) if you are offline (in IE). If you try to search Office online in for example Word’s Help database, when you are offline you will see this:
Your request cannot be completed because you are currently working offline. To go online, start Internet Explorer if it is not already running. Turn off the Work Offline command by clicking Work Offline on the File menu.
BTW, what you described with ZA, i.e. not a single question, was what I experienced in the above cases with Adobe Reader and SpywareBlaster (not Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as I said earlier).

BTW 2: I'm sure that you now have seen the MSKB about the error message (but I thought it would be better to check simple things first, as the ones mentioned by Dave and me):
When you try to activate Office programs over the Internet, you receive an error message
But it doesn't offer much help ... other than how to create some very esoteric error messages. "You now have a message in plain English, however, it doesn't give much clues, now let's transform it into a fun number." Quoi? :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.