Power Line Ethernet

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Power Line Ethernet

Post by BobH »

Has anyone here used this technology? If so, what results did you get?

I'm considering it to replace wifi for streaming.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle!
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 7 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Power Line Ethernet

Post by Argus »

I think John Gray has long experience, but also some other loungers.
See, for example, this old thread.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 82cc#p3300

Alt. search (in the Lounge) for: Powerline Ethernet, or, home plugs.

(Fifty-eleventh attempt :censored: ; lounge software didn't like me using user /user; logged out each time. In fact it doesn't work with escape code as well; so posted without brackets. :censored:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, I still use it to get from 'downstairs' to 'upstairs', but occasionally I have to power-cycle a plug to get it to work properly again. I've been through about three or four iterations of the technology in terms of speed, but if starting from scratch I would go through the agony and disruption of laying ethernet cables in a domestic environment. It's really the only way of guaranteeing a connectivity method which works all day, every day, and fast.
John Gray

Think how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of the population are stupider than that.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

A few years ago I would have agreed with John, but modern mesh WiFi can be very good in all but the most challenging of houses.
StuartR

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

BobH
A long time ago I followed John Gray's advice and purchased some Solwise Homeplug 'data over electric mains homeplugs'. They have been a lifeline for me because for some reason (brick walls, distance?) the wifi connection from my desktop PC was a) slow b) unreliable. The homeplugs have worked superbly for me'; I agree with John that, occasionally (not very frequently), I have to power cycle a plug. I bought the ones that have a mains adapter in them so I don't lose a power point where they are plugged in.
I would thoroughly recommend them. I have no connection with Solwise in any capacity.
Hope this helps
Silverback
PS : Talktalk sent me a NOW TV box for free, and because it was the free one, it isn't wifi. I don't use it, but the other day I was browsing through its manual and noticed that it had to be connected to the router by an ethernet cable i.e. the manual claims homeplugs won't work/be suitable for streaming. Check your streaming device manual before purchasing homeplugs. :thumbup:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Indeed! The only time anyone agrees with me now is a few years ago... :sad:
John Gray

Think how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of the population are stupider than that.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 12:15
Indeed! The only time anyone agrees with me now is a few years ago... :sad:
:laugh:
StuartR

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

They have been one of the most useful pieces of tech....a Godsend for me. Strange, also I find that the speeds drop to old dial up figures every 2 or 3 months and a switch off/on restores them. I have a BT TV box (Humax I believe) connected to one of the powerlines and it streams content OK.
Jeff

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, All!!
Bob's yer Uncle!
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 7 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016