Strange Network Behavior

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
sobershea
2StarLounger

Strange Network Behavior

Post by sobershea »

We have a desktop and two laptops networked. All three machines are Windows 7 Home Premium. The Sony laptop can access network files freely, but the HP laptop always asks for a user name and password. What makes it stranger (to me) is that the user name and password it requires is the one for the router. AND even though I changed the router's user name and password from the factory default, the next time I booted the HP and accessed the network, it still wanted the old factory default.

I guess I would be happy to understand why only one laptop is required to login to the network. I'm sure there is a setting I missed when setting up the HP.

Thanks,
Sherry

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Strange Network Behavior

Post by DaveA »

You need to A account with the same usr name and password on ALL machines, and things will work much berer.
Your statment about using the Router password, has NO baring on the use of the network.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

The pop-up that opens when the HP tries to access the VAIO laptop or the Gateway desktop is "Enter your network user name and password." And if I enter the router's new user name and password the logon fails. If I enter the old, default router password I have access to the whole network. Yes, all 3 machines have different user names but the VAIO and Gateway have no problem accessing the network even though using different user names. All 3 machines are in the same HomeGroup with the same password and the Network & Sharing Center settings are all the same.
:scratch:
Sherry

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

sobershea wrote:"Enter your network user name and password."
Last time I saw that at work was when someone had defined a (no longer existing) proxy server in the TCP/IP settings for a former mail server, and it kept asking for the logon name and password for our router when it was started up. Worth a look?

Later... No, I'm wrong - it was in Internet Explorer settings, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings button...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...