Forcing a password request on WiFi Connect

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Forcing a password request on WiFi Connect

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This may have neen asked, but I am not familiar with WiFi connect terminology.

I use "Free WiFi", in libraries, subway stations, hotel lobbies, cafes and so on.
Yesterday (Friday) I went to my local cafe and tried to connect.
I was there in early July with my new laptop, downloading Win7P updates, so WiFi was connecting then.

Yesterday I could do Google searches, GMail, but not Toronto Public Library or Eileen's Lounge.

My cell phone would connect, and asked for a password.
The laptop said it was connected but did NOT ask for a password.

On my cellphone I found web pages that suggested "clear cookies, history and cache", I did that and still could not access Library/Lounge.
I found web pages that suggested "try a different browser", so I d/l and installed Chrome. Same situation.
I Un-installed Firefox and installed a new version. Same situation.
I did a system restore to Early August, tried again to connect. Same situation.

I gave up, went home and sulked.

This (Saturday) morning I am in the Public Library, connected, everything seems OK.

Yesterday in the cafe the WiFi for my phone had me (1) choose a network and (2) type in the cafe's password.
But for my Laptop it did NOT ask for a password.

Is there a way to somehow beat the WiFi Connect software into submission and FORCE it to go through the normal process?
I am convinced that the laptop was not connecting properly, even though the boxes said "Connected; No Internet".

I can essay with suggestions next Monday when the cafe is opoen.

Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Forcing a password request on WiFi Connect

Post by HansV »

What happens if you right-click the library's WiFi in the list of available networks? Is there an option "Forget"? If so, click that option. If you connect after that, you should be prompted for the password again.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Forcing a password request on WiFi Connect

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:What happens if you right-click the library's WiFi in the list of available networks? Is there an option "Forget"? If so, click that option. If you connect after that, you should be prompted for the password again.
Thanks Hans. I will try that on Monday.

(Wednesday) Well, Monday and Tuesday took care of themselves.

Here I am back in the cafe and to my extreme annoyance, everything is working!
Untitled.png
I can see no "Forget" when I r/c, although there are two tabs and a "Properties" dialogue box that could, let's be honest, be implemented as a check box on one of the tab forms.

I remember(!) "Forget" from my smartphone, but can see nothing like it on the cheap laptop.

Which allows me to segue into my sub-topic:

Is there a way to flush all WiFi connection data from a Win7P laptop? If so, what is it? (Apart from going back to the installation system).

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace