Network software

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Network software

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have given up on Windows networking. For years and years I have had problems. I have had many experts attempt to fix it, some succeed, albeit briefly - network stuffed within a month or so.
I expressed my anger at MS in a flame on this Lounge, and was correctly censured. Censured, but not placated :)
Today I went to another PC expert and explained my problems, he said that Win 10 was a total mess wrt networking. Can't really argue with him. So now I want to get around Windows networking and I am wondering if any Loungers know of third party software that can get me going.
5 computers, 4 x win 10, 1 x win 7; 2 wired, 3 wireless in a home/office environment. Great wireless strength. Should be very simple.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Network software

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if a third party app. will be of more advantage as you will need to still put in all the parameters in this app. as you would have to do with the standard windows network and sharing center. they both boil down to the same thing.

I am not familiar with any good products so I'll just point you to a few good guides to setting up a home/office network.
You can peruse these if you are keen.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/hel ... -to-finish
- https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... -overview/
- https://www.virtualriders.net/resources ... ce-network
- https://www.itbusiness.ca/news/how-to-c ... work/14868
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Rudi. None of those turned on the lights.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Peter Kinross wrote:...I went to another PC expert and explained my problems, he said that Win 10 was a total mess wrt networking.
Could this expert - presumably with experience in networking PCs - not suggest a workable alternative?
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've probably got a similar configuration to you, except perhaps that I am using homeplugs to connect over the mains electricity two PCs downstairs and two upstairs to the main one in my study. Assorted laptops pop in and out, sometimes wirelessly, sometimes via ethernet, and sometimes both.

I must admit to no networking problems, but I have avoided homegroups and stuck with a workgroup, and am a great fan of the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy registry setting. I also need to have the same account-name and password on all computers.

Ages ago, I also read Stuart's invaluable "Troubleshooting shares on a home network", which might help a bit.

PS I'm sure that Claude or GeoffW would pop in to help, given sufficient liquid inducement!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do not use Homegroup as it is removed in the latest Windows 10 releases. Revert to plain Windows networking.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I've been using Windows networking in multiple configurations for many years. The most important advice in the post that John linked to above is to require passwords on every computer, and to have a username and password combination on each computer that matches the ones that you log in to on other PCs.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I agree with Stuart, we have a "Back Door" admin account and password that we use on ALL of our computers.
This allows us to access the system when the user account(s) get clobbered and act as a common networking access account.
This account does NOT need to login to just needs to be fully set up, i.e., logged into getting all of the files and folder created by the system. This also proves that your password is correct.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

How about introducing a NAS (network attached storage on your network). Synology has NAS that may fit your bill. Files and folders you want to share resides on the NAS with custom permissions you allow user accounts or groups you create that mimics your windows login credentials. Web user interface to access the NAS is quite intuitive.