File sharing across a router etc

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
bknight
BronzeLounger

File sharing across a router etc

Post by bknight »

I'm attempting to share files from Lap A to Lap C. I right clicked on the documents and choose everyone and went through the wizard. Both machines are connected wirelessly to a common router. However when I select Network on Lap C, nothing shows. Is there a step I missed?
Sorry if this is not the right place to start the thread, move if you like.

HansV
Administrator

Re: File sharing across a router etc

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from Lounge Matters to Networking and Wireless.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

ok

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I share files between two laptops via FileZilla. I'm no expert, so I think it is possible to do direct sharing, however, since my one laptop is running a Linux Distro and my other laptop is on Windows, I really struggled to get a link between them to share files. With FileZilla (FZ) it was a breeze. I simply made sure both PC's have FZ, then on each PC I used FZ to link to a shared drive on my router. So now I upload files to the shared drive using FZ on the one PC, and download from the shared drive using FZ on the other PC. It might be a longer workaround, but this resolved my file share issue without any frustrations.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Firstly, make sure that you have a user account on both laptops that has the same username and password.
Then ensure the specific wireless network is set to be Private (not public) on both laptops
Next make sure you have the same workgroup name on both laptops.

If this is not enough to get it to work then let us know what operating system you are using and we may have some better ideas for you.
StuartR

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

StuartR wrote:Firstly, make sure that you have a user account on both laptops that has the same username and password.
Then ensure the specific wireless network is set to be Private (not public) on both laptops
Next make sure you have the same workgroup name on both laptops.

If this is not enough to get it to work then let us know what operating system you are using and we may have some better ideas for you.
I accomplished this several years ago, and did not have all of your requirements with the exception of the public/private, as Lap C is set to public. I don't know what Lap A is set to as it is enroute to the service center for repairs to HDD.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Rudi wrote:I share files between two laptops via FileZilla. I'm no expert, so I think it is possible to do direct sharing, however, since my one laptop is running a Linux Distro and my other laptop is on Windows, I really struggled to get a link between them to share files. With FileZilla (FZ) it was a breeze. I simply made sure both PC's have FZ, then on each PC I used FZ to link to a shared drive on my router. So now I upload files to the shared drive using FZ on the one PC, and download from the shared drive using FZ on the other PC. It might be a longer workaround, but this resolved my file share issue without any frustrations.
When I get Lap A back from repairs, I'll try the FileZilla if normal settings don't work. BTW Lap A is Win 7 and Lap C is Win 10.