Username Could not Found

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Username Could not Found

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear Community,

In windows 7 professional i am trying to find the user name by using CMD but i couldn't see the my admin account user name. if i tried manually to change the password it shows user name could not be found. But i can see in windows 7 ultimate, windows 8 and windows 10. I need to find the my user login account name then only i can connect my system with printer. Kindly help me.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Username Could not Found

Post by Claude »

What happens when you reboot the PC ? Does it ask for the username and password ?
Cheers, Claude.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear sir,

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes sir it asking username and password but it doesn't appear in CMD. In CMD it just shows like Administrator and Guest account only. herewith i attached two screenshots. first one is windows10, second one is windows7 Professional. windows 10 shows the all user accounts. But windows 7 does not show the admin account name. if i create another local account it shows. My admin user log in account name is Qc. It doesn't show in cmd. I dont know why. i need to add another system which installed windows 7 with my printer. That's why i need to figure it out. Because i need to setup SMB settings which asks user login name and user login password. I tried but it shows error so i checked with cmd it shows the error like user name not found. then i searched in online some people having the same issues but i couldn't get proper answer. Could you please help me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Try

Code: Select all

echo %username%
That will give you the name of the currently logged in user
StuartR

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank You so much for kind reply sir. Sir i tried this. its working superb :smile: but the User login name is not same as the CMD shows current user logged user name by using this command. Why sir :scratch:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The command NET USER shows all user accounts on the computer. The command echo %username% shows the username of the user that is currently logged in.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'm not sure I understand your question. But could it be that there is a discrepancy between the Full Name and the User Name, i.e. that one has been changed (on the Windows 7 Pro machine)?

I once wrote this for a question about accounts in Windows XP (some 10 years ago), (Actual account name= User Name):
Argus wrote:When an account is created, the name you provide is used both for the Actual account name and the Full name.

The Full name is used on the Welcome screen, Start menu, in User Accounts tool etc. The Actual account name is used as name for the profile folder and internally in Windows (listed in Task Manager), sometimes in commands etc.

In most cases everyone has the same name on Full name and actual account name, but the Full name can easily be changed in User Accounts tool in CP to show something nice on Welcome screen.

In Home and Pro, User Accounts only changes the Full name not the actual account name.

The User Accounts in CP comes in a different flavour if the PC is joined to a domain, but that is not the case for your XP Home.

However, it is possible to show this by running: "control userpasswords2". Here you can set some nifty things ex.: automatic logon (if not using Tweak UI), and you can change the actual account name. The only other place to change that, as I know, is the Local Users and Groups console, but it is not included in XP Home.
That is, what do you see in the Local Users and Groups console (Computer Management) for this account (if you check the Properties)?

Or, you could simply run the command for the account you think may have a different Full Name compared to the User Name, Net User(s) UserName, and it will show you both names (plus detailed info).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

[quote="Argus"]I'm not sure I understand your question. But could it be that there is a discrepancy between the Full Name and the User Name, i.e. that one has been changed (on the Windows 7 Pro machine)?

I once wrote this for a question about accounts in Windows XP (some 10 years ago)[quote="Argus"]

Dear sir,
Wow superb sir. Now i clearly understand sir. Still now i dont know that windows has a full name and user name. Thank you so much sir. Mr.StuartR sir you too thank you so much sir. :clapping: :thankyou:

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear sir,

Now i successfully added my systems with printer. But sir how to change the full name by using Control panel or group policies as well as CMD. Kindly Tell me sir. Because the login user name is totally different from full name. For example mu user login name is "Jhon" and current user name is "DELL". kindly tell where i can change this name.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear Community,

Now i Read in online regarding username. As Mr.Argus sir said there are tow user names. 1. Full name 2. User name
Full name is shown in User login window and it is given by user and easily editable.
User name is assigned by default ( i am not sure may be)
Actually when we check with command prompt by using the command "net user" (without quotes) it shows the actual user name. But if full name and user name is different then we think that cmd is not showing our user account name. in my case that's what happened. if you see my picture which i posted in previously, cmd shows DELL (as administrator) is my actual user name for current account. but my account full name is BOOBALAN (in my Office system login name). So i thought that "Net user" command is not showing my account name.
That's why i post this topic.
As Mr.StuartR sir said we can ensure that current user name by using the command "echo %username%" (every command without quotes)
Here i have posted pictures if you see the pictures we could clearly understand.
if we see CMD screen shot
"Admin" -- is actual user account (i.e., user name) is Administrator account
"Sakthikala sakthikala" -- is Full name. You can see in 3rd screen shot
"ADMIN-PC" -- hostname or computer full name (we can see by using command "hostname")

if we want to edit the user name as same as full name :
we can use CMD or RUN both are having the same command "netplwiz" it will open account control applet (i am not sure but it can be only open by command "netplwiz". we can not open by control panel menu items) as shown in screenshot 2.
in that we can edit user name and full name, we can add another account or change the account type as administrator or standard user by selecting the properties tab as shown in screenshot 3.
so hereafter we can clearly come to know which one is user name by using the command "net user" in CMD without any doubt. we don't need to looking for our full name.

i am just sharing this it will help to someone when seeing this post (i hope). Thank you all :smile: .

Courtesy :https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wi ... ofessional
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BOOBALAN.V wrote:[...]But sir how to change the full name by using Control panel or group policies as well as CMD. Kindly Tell me sir. Because the login user name is totally different from full name. For example mu user login name is "Jhon" and current user name is "DELL". kindly tell where i can change this name.
You're welcome.
(I had was typing this when you replied, maybe it can be of some help.)
With the NET USER command we see the User Name (and if you specify a username, NET USER Username, you get detailed information about the account, as well as info wheter there is a different Full Name or not). As mentioned, in most cases User Name and Full Name are the same, i.e. there is no Full Name specified.

Changing the Full Name (as mentioned, what we see on the Welcome screen etc.) is easy.

For example via the Control Panel, User Accounts.

Another way is with the Local Users and Groups console.
One way to start it:
-Right-click on Computer in the Windows Start menu.
-Select Manage.
-In the Computer Mangagement window select Local Users and Groups (Local) in the left hand pane.
-Double-click on Users in the middle pane.
-Right-click on the user account you would like to change, select Properties.
-On the General tab change, or add, a Full name.

A third way, via CLI:
-Start a command prompt with Admin rights (type cmd in the Start menu, right-click on the program and select Run as administrator).
-Type NET USER, identify the account you would like to change, or add a Full Name; let's say, uhm, the built in Administrator account.
-Type NET USER Username, to see details about the account, and both the User Name and the Full Name.
-To change the Full Name, type NET USER Username /FULLNAME:"Full Name"
-Et voilà
-If you like, confirm the change by running NET USER Username, it should now specify the both the Username and the Full Name.
20171227_Change_FullName.png
If you like, you can confirm this via the Local Users and Groups console, mentioned above. In this case the built-in Administrator account was given the Full Name "Nisse" (in keeping with the Yule spirit ...).
20171227_Local Users and Groups.png
Now, to change the Username, use the Local Users and Groups console.
-Click on the account you would like to change.
-Click on the name, in the Name column. You can now change the User Name.
20171227_Local Users_Username.png
You can confirm this via the NET USER command.

(Yes, netplwiz is the same as running control userpasswords2.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank You so much sir. Its very useful :clapping: :smile: