Network Questions !!

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Mohammednt0
4StarLounger

Network Questions !!

Post by Mohammednt0 »

Q1. when i should use the WAN Port!? should i use it with router ?

Q2. what is RJ45 ? and why WAN Port is specified only for RJ45 ?

Q.3

A- i turned my Old Router into Wireless access point, i manually set up the ip address to available (None used) Ip Address, then i disabled the DHCP,
after that i connected the old Router with My Modem/Router via Ethernet cable to Lan port (fast ethernet port), is this correct ?

B- also is it OK to connected it wirelessly because i was able to connect it wirelessly!!

C- is it necessary to disabled the DHCP? , when should i use the DHCP !? because i enabled only the DHCP on my Main Modem/Router so it will manage all of the access points / Routers, and i manually assigned Ip Address for each Router/Access Point

C- should i connect the old router to wan port or keep it connected as it is (connected via Ethernet cable to Lan port (fast ethernet port),)?

thanks

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Network Questions !!

Post by StuartR »

1. Yes, you connect a cable from the WAN port on a computer to a router. The WAN port on a router is usually intended to connect to a modem, which connects it to your broadband. But this is not very common nowadays as most routers have built in modems
2. RJ45 is a design of plug, commonly used with network cables
3. A) It would be better to let the access point use DHCP to get an IP address, but this might work too
3. B) If you have a Wireless connection from the Wireless Access Point to the router then it must support this configuration. IT is commonly called "Wireless Extender" mode
3. C) Yes, that is correct. Disable DHCP on the Wireless Access Point and the main router should provide all IP addresses
3. C) (again) The old router (acting as a wireless access point) should be connected to a LAN port on your router.
StuartR

Mohammednt0
4StarLounger

Post by Mohammednt0 »

Q.3.A - i turned my Old Router into Wireless access point, i manually set up the ip address to available (None used) Ip Address, then i disabled the DHCP,
after that i connected the old Router with My Modem/Router via Ethernet cable to Lan port (fast ethernet port), is this correct ?

It would be better to let the access point use DHCP to get an IP address, but this might work too

Q.3.C - is it necessary to disabled the DHCP? , when should i use the DHCP !? because i enabled only the DHCP on my Main Modem/Router so it will manage all of the access points / Routers, and i manually assigned Ip Address for each Router/Access Point

Yes, that is correct. Disable DHCP on the Wireless Access Point and the main router should provide all IP addresses

thanks for your reply,

i got confused sorry!!, Should i Enable or Disable the DHCP of the access points !?

im thinking that the DHCP of the original Access Point (Modem/Router) will manage all of the IP Addresses of the Access Points, is this Wrong or not preferable !?
Last edited by Mohammednt0 on 24 Dec 2017, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Mohammednt0
4StarLounger

Post by Mohammednt0 »

im setting up my new router and i got confused !! there are many options !! im not sure which one to choose, what do you advice !!

https://image.prntscr.com/image/LrnYvnG ... gqzfg.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what are the difference between the following:

• Repeater!

A) DHCP & NAT enabled
B) Clients on different subnet from primary router.
C) Computers connected to one router cannot see computers connected to other routers in Windows Network.

i think im always using this mode, but i disable the DHCP and i'm manually assigning the IP Address, (which you advice me not to !)

• Repeater Bridge
A) Wireless Repeater capabilities with DHCP & NAT disabled.
B) Clients on the same subnet as primary router.
C) All computers can see one another in Windows Network.

didn't worked great for me, it's cool to have one large network, and All computers can see one another in Windows Network, but the Wi-Fi kept changing between the Modem/Router and the Router all the time, if your range was in between, it will just keep trying to connect to the closest one, am i correct !? because this is what i think happened to me at that time!.

• Bridge Mode: ?

• Access point: ?

• Wireless Extender: ?

• Extender: ?

thanks in advance

Mohammednt0
4StarLounger

Post by Mohammednt0 »

ok i understand now what you meant by

It would be better to let the access point use DHCP to get an IP address, but this might work too

i should enable the DHCP of all Access Point , i noticed that if i Disabled the DHCP i will not be able to get the router setup page, maybe there is IP address conflict !!

what about IP address pool for each router, should i specify where does it start and where does it end's !!?

for example:

Router 1

IP Pool Starting Address > 192.168.1.2
IP Pool Ending Address > 192.168.1.50

Router 2

IP Pool Starting Address > 192.168.1.51
IP Pool Ending Address > 192.168.1.100

is this necessary ?!

thanks

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The simplest way to manage DHCP is to have only only one router giving out addresses. If you have the option then configure the main router as a DHCP server, and disable that functionality on the one you are using as a wireless access point.

Ideally the old router should use DHCP to get an address from the main router, but it should not manage IP addresses for other devices.

If both the old router and the new one offer WiFi then devices will roam between them. Isn't that the behaviour you want?
StuartR

Mohammednt0
4StarLounger

Post by Mohammednt0 »