Internet Speed

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Information please

Post by viking33 »

Dave, of course, I don't have any experience with UK providers but a Google of "top ISP's in the UK", came up with this list, You can give it a quick look and maybe some of the members from the UK can agree or disagree.

Other side of the pond
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the post Bob, yes there are a couple of main sites where comparisons can be made like <moneysupermarket.com> & <camparethemarket.com> but thought it expedient to ask if any other UK lounger had recent experience of switching. Just perused the link you sent and conclude that it looks like nothing short of a nightmare to change ISP providers, hoping that Virgin might [hopefully] :brickwall: offer a little concession on the price....... Cheers Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks for the post Bob, yes there are a couple of main sites where comparisons can be made like <moneysupermarket.com> & <camparethemarket.com> but thought it expedient to ask if any other UK lounger had recent experience of switching. Just perused the link you sent and conclude that it looks like nothing short of a nightmare to change ISP providers, hoping that Virgin might [hopefully] :brickwall: offer a little concession on the price....... Cheers Dave.
You can try your luck with Virgin but hope you have better luck than I had with Verizon. I'm even thinking of trying Hughes Satelite service. They have been around a fairly long time. Maybe, like wine, they improve with age? :wine: :time:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

First I would check to what provider are in your area?

Here in the colonies, we have many providers, but most areas are covered by only on or two.
So one does not really have a choice.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:UK loungers; I have been with Virgin Media for many years...
Didn't you more or less ask the same question in this post? From the responses you got to that post the conclusion seemed to be that it's a jungle out there and each ISP will have people that swear by them while at the same time there are as many people who swear at them. I doubt the situation will have changed in the short time since those posts were made.

While that thread was active (on 10 Aug) I sent you a private message that gave some details I wasn't prepared to share on the open board. You don't appear to have read that message but it might help you.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Dave Davison wrote:UK loungers; I have been with Virgin Media for many years my current package being, line rental, unlimited anytime calls and Broadband for which they charge £48 per month. Anyone with personal experience of a reputable server offering the same deal for less.
Yes, Virgin Media! This presumes you are happy with the reliability and speed of the package you currently have.

I have what you have bar phone calls (assuming you have their 100 Mbps package, from which I get 110 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up) and it costs me £31 a month. Each time VM put the price up one has to ring up Customer Services and threaten to leave - but calmly and non-aggressively. You get passed across to "Retentions", with whom you try to negotiate a reduction, pointing out that you are a long-time customer, the reliability has been good (or otherwise), and you'd prefer not to have to suffer a BT landline, and so on. You may need to take out a new 24-month contract (I think it is) but they should offer a discount for good behaviour.

Often it's "better the devil you know"...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Internet Speed

Post by HansV »

I have merged Dave Davison's thread "Information please" with this earlier thread (see Ken's remark above).
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Internet Speed

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks John, diplomacy may be the way forward so will see what discount i can coax out of them...Cheers Dave.