IP Address Conflict Error

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

IP Address Conflict Error

Post by BobH »

Since cutting the cable cord several weeks back, I have been getting this error message after a system restart:
IP Address Conflict.GIF
I feel as if I should know how to troubleshoot this problem, but draw blank on how to proceed.

The major change in my home wifi network is a new modem/router device. There are no new devices on the network but Win 7 seems to think there is. I suspect that the router options are set to assign IP addresses dynamically but that one or more devices are using static addresses.

Where do I go find the IP addresses that Windows evaluates in order to generate this error message? Is there a CP tool for this, or are IP addresses only relevant at the hardware level of the router?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: IP Address Conflict Error

Post by Rudi »

You can usually see IP addresses in your routers access control application.

In my TP-Link router control app it is listed as: DHCP Clients List (and shows all the devices connected to the wireless and their IP addresses)

Another small free app you can use is: Wireless Network Watcher by Nirsoft.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

I've used my browser to view the router settings and I can a list of devices but I'm not getting IP addresses (nnn.nnn.n.n) just their names and sometimes MAC addresses. I'm pretty sure that is a function of the firmware in this router I'm renting from my ISP.

I'll download nirsoft's product and see what I can find.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

A better NirSoft tool, I would reckon, is WakeMeOnLAN (download link near the bottom of the webpage) which will show you all the IP addresses of all the PINGable devices on your LAN. You need to set up the IP address range one-time only using Options -> F9 -> Select the following IP Addresses range:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have you shut down and rebooted EVERY device on your network since you replaced the router. It is possible that something is using an IP address that was assigned to it by the previous router, and the new router is giving out the same address to your PC.
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I see this error occasionally when my wife revives her laptop from sleep and in the meantime other devices (phone, laptop, tablet, playstation) have joined the network and have presumably been given the IP address her laptop would have if it wasn't asleep. It doesn't seem to cause any problem that we've noticed and I've always assumed something re-negotiates an IP address invisibly. I'm prepared to be corrected.

A previous router (running DD-WRT) allowed me to specify a range of IP addresses to give out, and I used that feature to separate them from the fixed ones that my NAS and printer have. I can't remember if my Virgin Media supplied router was set up the same way.
Note: I set up my ISP router in a hurry after a lightning strike fried my Netgear router... :sad:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

I have not taken time to shut down each device. I shall give that my attention today.

I believe that my router will let me assign ranges of IP addresses statically. I will look into that as well.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

tomphx
NewLounger

Post by tomphx »

jonwallace wrote:I see this error occasionally when my wife revives her laptop from sleep and in the meantime other devices (phone, laptop, tablet, playstation) have joined the network and have presumably been given the IP address her laptop would have if it wasn't asleep. It doesn't seem to cause any problem that we've noticed and I've always assumed something re-negotiates an IP address invisibly. I'm prepared to be corrected.

A previous router (running DD-WRT) allowed me to specify a range of IP addresses to give out, and I used that feature to separate them from the fixed ones that my NAS and printer have. I can't remember if my Virgin Media supplied router was set up the same way.
Note: I set up my ISP router in a hurry after a lightning strike fried my Netgear router... :sad:
My first post here!

I see this error probably every other day in a similar scenario, when waking the Win7 Pro laptop. The Win7 Home Premium laptop does not cause it. I just click to close the box and everything's fine. No lasting effects. I believe Jonwallace is correct that the router just gives out a new IP address.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Welcome to the Lounge Tom.

:whisper: It took you a while (almost 2 years) to post something. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Tom!

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge! You've found a great place to hang your hat.

Thanks for the info.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

tomphx
NewLounger

Post by tomphx »

Thanks BobH and Rudi!
Rudi, I have been kinda busy.... :smile: