Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by BobH »

Perhaps dementia has set in, but I have a firm recollection of VPNs having been discussed here in Eileen's Lounge; however, searching reveals only one post relative to Chrome problems.

Can anyone point me to a thread or threads that discuss VPNs?

If, indeed, my memory cells are fried, can someone post on guidelines for choosing a VPN service. With ISPs now able to record and sell all your online activity tracking, I'm looking to get a bit more privacy. It seems using a VPN will do that as well as give me better international access to web content. My problem is I don't know what parameters to consider before making a choice among them.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, here is an informative article I came across today. I've tried a couple of VPNs and they all seem to slow down my internet connection by up to 50% or more. I'm also trying out HTTPS Everywhere. While it does not appear to have an impact on my browsing, I'm not really sure what it does or what protection it provides.

Personally, I think your privacy is toast anyway. Who is to say your VPN provider of choice will not sell your information just like Verizon or Comcast. Maybe the VPN is owned and operated by the Russian mafia or perhaps it is a front for the NSA. Just saying.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Lindaawilsoon
NewLounger

Post by Lindaawilsoon »

i'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question... but do you have any idea how to set up a VPN?

i researched a little and found out that you could use a PC with 2 Network Interface Cards... is this really possible? 2 NICs?

last question, what should come first after the internet, a Router or the VPN server?

i don't know if you could answer this... please help if u can... thanks a lot!!!

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Setting up a VPN can be done in different ways, depending on why you want to set it up.

What is your goal? What do you want the VPN for?
StuartR

Lindaawilsoon
NewLounger

Post by Lindaawilsoon »

I need VPN for using in China, according to my friends and my own research, in China many websites and Google apps are blocked so i want to access google docs, gmail etc in China.
Last edited by Lindaawilsoon on 06 Nov 2018, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That is a particularly challenging use case. You will need to subscribe to a service from a VPN provider (you can find many of them by following the links in Hans post above). You may find that some VPN services are blocked to prevent you from using them.
StuartR

Lindaawilsoon
NewLounger

Post by Lindaawilsoon »

Many Thanks StuartR for the quick response and help me to find out what i need...