Can't see one of my computers

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Can't see one of my computers

Post by Peter Kinross »

One of my 4 computers (Computer3) cannot see or be seen in Explorer by the others.
UPDATE. C3 can now see all the others, but they can't see it.
I can transfer files from Computer1 to Computer3 using Access VBA.
I cannot ping Computer3 from Computer1 or Computer2.
I can ping the other computers and the router from Computer3.
I have set IP address in all computers ‘to be obtained automatically’.
I have set static IP addresses for all computers & devices in the router. See “DHCP Reservation Lease Info”.
All computers are Win10 except Computer2 – Win7 (refused to upgrade to Win10!)
2 questions:
1. How do I get Computer3 to be seen on the network?
2. What on earth are the “*** STATIC IP ADDRESS ***” in the “DHCP Client Lease Info” table? The MAC addresses aren’t for anything that I know of. I would have thought that the 5 computers & devices with set IPs would be mentioned in “DHCP Client Lease Info”, and marked as “*** STATIC IP ADDRESS ***”
Whoops, Computer4 in “DHCP Client Lease Info” below should be blank, obviously NOT Computer4

these are all phoney IPs & MACs
17Mar03PhoneyIPs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Re: Can't see one of my computers

Post by Peter Kinross »

It fixed itself! !
All I did was set an IP address in C3. Which then couldn't even get on the internet. Changed it back to get an IP automatically and then C3 could see all the others, but they couldn't see it. Then, as per a previous post, I deleted C:\WIndows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\roaming\PeerNetworking on C1 only. After re-booting just C1, all computers could see each other. This is strange as I think the PeerNetworking folder is for HomeGroups which I definitely do not have and haven't tried to set up since deleting that folder a few months ago.
This worked briefly a few months ago (see previous post) and then back to not working shortly after. But I didn't have set IP addresses set up in my router then, whereas I do now. So I hope it sticks.
Danged if I can see why this worked though.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Strange indeed Peter, but, good to hear you succeeded in fixing it :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Came across this one that may be relevant Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10