Network PCs not showing up

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Leif
Administrator

Network PCs not showing up

Post by Leif »

We have an ongoing problem with some PCs and Servers on our domain not showing up on the network.

Typically, I will open up Windows Explorer and see perhaps three out of eight that are connected are listed:
x.jpg
I can manually add another - e.g. by entering "\\srv01" in the address bar - and it will be added in the left pane, but not on the right:
y.jpg
F5 does not help, mapped drives always appear OK (even if on an 'invisible' machine), and once manually added, a network machine can be browsed without problem. However, closing and reopening WE takes me back to the first image above.
Others on the network are similarly affected. All PC's running W7 Pro, domain controller running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

I have followed the instructions at Why are computers missing from the network map?, but no changes to the adaptor settings are needed anywhere.

Has anyone got any clue how to resolve this please? :hairout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Network PCs not showing up

Post by StuartR »

Not that it helps you much, but I found all this stuff so unreliable that I created a batch file to map all my network drives whenever I log in - that was the only way I could get consistent behaviour.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Network PCs not showing up

Post by John Gray »

Me too - and it was considerably more awkward than I initially thought.
System Error 1219, anyone?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.