New laptop... No wireless connection

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Pilgrim
2StarLounger

New laptop... No wireless connection

Post by Pilgrim »

I have a friend who just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. What little I know about wireless isn't enough to help him with a problem he's having. From what I can ascertain, he has a wireless router, connected to a DSL modem. He can access the Internet via a patch cord but not wirelessly. Perhaps it is better to simply provide a quote from him from which someone can make some suggestions to correct the problem.
I got my new laptop and as you see I am on the'net. I am using my wireless router for my connection, but I still cannot remove the cable from my laptop to the wirless router. Presently, I have a dsl line connected to a dsl modem, which has a ethernet cable going to the wirless router, and another ethernet cable going from my wireless router to my laptop.

I'm I wrong on this. I thought since my wireless router is working, that I could unplug my eternet cable connection, and move around the house with my laptop still receiving contact with my wireless router.
Calling all wireless gurus. :grin:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: New laptop... No wireless connection

Post by JoeP »

Is he sure the wireless NIC is turned on? Some laptops have an on/off switch for wireless.

Can he see any networks in the network connection applet when he disconnects the wired connection?

Joe
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Can you get your friend to describe how they configured the SSID and password, to make sure that the basic stuff is configured correctly.
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks guys.... I've relayed these questions and will get back if/when he responds. :grin:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!