Drawing Network Components

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Drawing Network Components

Post by BobH »

With my new-found toys, I've discovered the need to represent network components graphically. I plan to use typical network components . . . a cloud for the Internet, clip art (or other) for modems, routers, desktops, laptops, external devices. I don't want to invest in software because this need is likely to be a temporary one that will go away once configurations are set up.

What tools would you use to do this? I know that Word has drawing and word art tools but they are not specifically geared toward network components (at least, to my knowledge). Are there ways to use Office tools that would meet these needs? If so, please educate me. If not, what other handy and inexpensive tools would you recommend? I could always resort to SketchUp but I was hoping that I could find a less time-intensive way to do this.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Drawing Network Components

Post by Rudi »

I can recommend yEd.

Its one of the best in the FREE range of Diagramming applications.

PS: What I liked about yEd is its great capability to auto-arrange your diagram. Don't worry about the layout too much while creating your flowchart. Just add your boxes and connections and then when you're done, use one of yEd's many auto-arrange algorithms. See the video on the link above that demo's it briefly.

An alternative is Dia
For a longer list of choices, see here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

yED will fit the bill nicely . . . and I REALLY like the price!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: (and that's your limit for tonight)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for the beer :yum:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.