Share misery

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Share misery

Post by John Gray »

I've added a 'new' old PC (Windows 7 SP1 32-bit) into my home workgroup. It was formerly in a domain. I have created some user shares on its D: drive.

I can do pretty well everything to it (PING it, Remote Desktop to it, do NET USE * to the shares I set up, etc) but I cannot do
NET USE * \\newPC\admin$
NET USE * \\newPC\c$
NET USE * \\newPC\d$
getting "The password is invalid for \\newPC\d$", for example.

I've tried to make all the user names and local groups be the same as the previous PC added to the workgroup, and gone through Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders -> Shares, and
Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users (and Groups!)
and can't find any notable differences (except that the previous computer has another disk partition and a printer).

Any suggestions as to how to proceed, please?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Share misery

Post by DaveA »

I have found that Windows 7 likes to have passworded user accounts, are your account passworded?

Also I have found that by having the "Same" user name and "Same" password on each machine also helps. I use a Admin user account that is my second back door. It does NOT need to be open but just fully set up on each machine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, I have the same administrator-level account on all machines, which I usually use to log on (with the same password).
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Perhaps I should have read my post from a year ago about the registry value LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy!

Having applied this registry change to "newPC", the administrative shares become NET USEable from another Windows 7 PC, and happiness occurs.
John Gray