sharing network point with a switch

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

sharing network point with a switch

Post by jonwallace »

I know this is "networking your home" but I have a work problem that I need help and advice with before I go to Computer Services. (I like to present them with a solution, because A) they're understaffed and B) they keep forgetting I can do this stuff and need to be reminded from time to time - I know, I'm asking questions, so I probably can't do this stuff...)

We have an office which has two network points and two PCs plugged into them. We would like to add a network printer to the room. I also inherited a 5 port netgear switch when the Lab down the road closed (still in it's box). Is it feasible to plug the switch into the network point and plug an printer and a PC into that?

I can't just try it because the network people will have to issue an IP address for the printer and the network has "sticky mac" (oo-er) so you can't just plug things in willy-nilly. So my second question would be: can two pieces of equipment (PC and printer) share a network port using a switch if the "sticky mac" thing is in operation. I suppose I'm asking if CSU can authorise two MAC addresses to be attached to one network point through a switch?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

StuartR
Administrator

Re: sharing network point with a switch

Post by StuartR »

The sticky MAC will be a problem. The network people would have to authorize the MAC address of the new switch, and then anything could be plugged into it, circumventing the sticky MAC security.
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: sharing network point with a switch

Post by jonwallace »

ooh that is a problem. Thanks for the speedy reply.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube