Setup Linksys E4200v2 Wireless Router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
StuartR
Administrator

Re: Setup Linksys E4200v2 Wireless Router

Post by StuartR »

The address ranges 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 and 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 are reserved for use on private networks, and any home router you buy will support these.

All home routers that I have used allow you to reserve specific addresses for printers and other devices that need fixed addresses. On some routers you can't choose the address though, you have to let the router assign the address and then you tell it to make this a permanent assignment.

I think your best bet is going to be to change the current router to use the 10.0 address and reconfigure your printer software. Once you have done this you will feel more confident you can do it again, and if you can't get it to work it's no big deal, just switch the router back to the original address.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks but do you believe changing that to 10.10.1.1 will do any good? I just hate to even try it to be honest.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I can't see any reason it would help from a technical perspective, but it might help persuade the vendor that the new router is faulty.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sorry to comment at this late date, but I'd just give up on Linksys and get a Belkin. I bought a Belkin wireless 14 months ago when I got my laptop and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I should have asked this earlier but before I mess everything up if I do change that IP address to 10.10.1.1 will my other computers still all be networked together as they are now or will that all have to be set up again?

Big Al what is the default IP for that router you have? Also I believe StuartR answered it before but could it be set to the 192.168.1.1 that I am now using? I will look it up to see if they have a 4 port one like I would need.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

All of your computers should continue to work as normal, provided they use DHCP, which is the normal default configuration.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

hlewton wrote:... Big Al what is the default IP for that router you have? Also I believe StuartR answered it before but could it be set to the 192.168.1.1 that I am now using? I will look it up to see if they have a 4 port one like I would need.
Its default, which I didn't change, is 192.168.2.1 but I have no concerns that it couldn't be changed.

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N625AA/ref ... s_sce_dp_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both. Al I'm glad you told me which one you have because I was looking at them and saw some rather expensive models and I am still a bit undecided which would be best for my home. I am going to try to find a pdf file on the one you have to see how to access the settings once the router is setup so I can try to figure out how to change that IP address. If the Belkin is accessed the same way the Linksys is by typing the IP address in the URL line I have the same concern as to how to access it once the default IP address is changed. So far I have not been able to find out how to access the Linksys router's setup if I would try changing the IP to 10.10.1.1 so I have not even tried that yet.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have been using the NetGear line for many years with no problems.
Then only reason I went to a new one, was that I needed more "Wired" ports and got one that was both wired and wireless.
I am now using a 8 port NetGear model FVG 318, http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... vg318.aspx#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Save you a little looking. Too big to upload here.

http://www.alhoffman.org/Belkin.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Dave and Big Al. I had already found that and downloaded, looked it over and didn't find how to change the default IP but what I haven't found yet is a more advanced manual giving those kinds of details and again if I would change the default IP how I can access the router's software.
Regards,
hlewton

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Here's a clip of the Belkin's settings. I did not change the default so I don't know if the machine would have to be booted after changing. I have a Firefox bookmark set that opens to the router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you very much for that.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The address of your router (which you need to type in to your web browser to access the setup screen) can be found on any Windows computer by typing
IPCONFIG
to a DOS prompt. The address you need is the one shown as Default Gateway.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:The address of your router (which you need to type in to your web browser to access the setup screen) can be found on any Windows computer by typing
IPCONFIG
to a DOS prompt. The address you need is the one shown as Default Gateway.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just spoke with an engineer from Belkin. She seemed very knowledgeable but did throw a bit of a curve at me. After I briefly explained the problems I am having and the size of the area I would like to maintain good Wi-Fi coverage in she recommended an AC Router, the AC 1000 DB Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Router to be specific. I have never heard of them before but after questioning her a little it seems I can still set the IP to the 192.168.1.1 so that hopefully I have no problems with my printers. However, since this is the first I have heard of an AC router I wondered if it would be a good choice. After looking at what I could find it seems the speed is very much higher for the 5 GHz part of it but I don't use that, at least not yet.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a wise choice for me or not? Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:I have been using the NetGear line for many years with no problems.
Then only reason I went to a new one, was that I needed more "Wired" ports and got one that was both wired and wireless.
I am now using a 8 port NetGear model FVG 318, http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... vg318.aspx#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave can you please tell me your default gateway IP address? I am looking at a Netgear R6300 and a Cnet article says its default IP address is 192.168.1.1 which is the same as my Linksys router. I also talked to a tech at Netgear and he said that was correct but he was a bit difficult to understand and also when I Google Netgear's default IP address it comes up with 192.168.0.1 so I just am trying to be sure.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, that is correct, see my attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. It really bothers me when their own tech support people tell me something that just isn't so. I mean I could not have been more specific in my questioning of him but I had a bad feeling about his answers and his understanding of the English language.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I just talked to another Netgear support person, actually 3 of them until I got what he described himself as a "senior technician" and I am even more confused now. I could not get a straight answer out of him as far as what the router's IP address is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 so I tried to come at it from a different direction. I asked him if it were not 192.168.1.1 if I could change it to be that and he more or less said no that I would have to contact him to make that change because of security issues involved. He even gave me his number to reach him once I had the router so he could set it up with the 192.168.1.1 IP address. I can't believe it is that big a deal with Netgear to make that change so I am asking if anyone knows in Netgear's software for the router could I find and make that change on my own like I know I can with Linksys and as Big Al showed me for the Belkin router?

I'm sorry and bet you guys are getting as tired of seeing my questions as I am for having to ask them. I just don't want to go through another fiasco like I have been doing with the Linksys router so I am trying to make the best educated choice I can.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton