NAS Drive

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

NAS Drive

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have purchased a limited NAS drive Medion 1TB, it is installed and is seen on my Netgear Genie map and by ping, there is backup software but I only want to use it for storage.
I have set up user accounts.
What I cannot do is see the drive on Explorer or Salamander, (my preferred) file manager.
Can this drive be set to behave as a simple drive that can be seen on the file managers?
If so, what setting am I missing?
I do not want to use the backup software as I use Acronis on all computers and if I backup to this drive it has not enough capacity.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Re: NAS Drive

Post by E_OGRADY »

I think I have found the solution, I had not mapped the drive and assigned it a drive letter, that completed I then had problems with the Error: (5) Access is denied, I then solved or overrode this by turning off "Simply file sharing"

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing the solution; it may help others in the future.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

NAS devices - the file timestamp problem.doc
Most of these NASes expose a single share to which you have to connect, as you have done.

Usually a Linux program called Samba runs on the NAS to simulate the NTFS file system to a Windows client (but with an important difference, that the time granularity for file dates/times is 2 seconds, like FAT. This can occasionally be a pain).

[boring 15 page account of the matter from 2009 attached, in case anyone is the slightest interested!]
NAS devices - the file timestamp problem.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...