One-way Connection

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

One-way Connection

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Usually my network comprises just my main computer and and my laptop both runing Windows 7. From the laptop I have total access to the main computer. However when any action (e.g. copying a file) from the main computer to the laptop is attempted a message appears: `You need permission to perform this action'.

All the permissions on both computers appear to me to allow Full Control. Where do I start to troubleshoot this lack of permission? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: One-way Connection

Post by StuartR »

Do you have user accounts with the same name and password on both computers?
Do the share permissions on the laptop allow full access (NOT the file and folder permissions, but the permissions on the share itself)?
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Thank you for your response.
StuartR wrote:Do you have user accounts with the same name and password on both computers?
The user names were the same but the passwords were different. With same password the same message appeared: `You need permission to perform this action'.
Do the share permissions on the laptop allow full access (NOT the file and folder permissions, but the permissions on the share itself)?
Checking the permissions on the shares themselves showed Full Control was not enabled. Now that it is enabled all is well and working as expected.
Thank you very much for your assistance - it is very much appreciated.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
StuartR