WiFi Client Properties

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
PaulB
BronzeLounger

WiFi Client Properties

Post by PaulB »

I am considering switching from a relatively slow DSL network to a considerably faster cable network. This means a new router and other hardware. I am thinking of perhaps getting an 802.11ac router. One hang-up I have in making a decision is that I cannot determine the characteristics of the WiFi client in my wife's laptop. Device Manager tells me that it is an Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN. How can I determine which standard (B, G or N) it is using and on which band it is operating? Are these settings over which I have any control? If so, how do I change them?

The environment for all computers is W7 x64.

This is something new for me.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: WiFi Client Properties

Post by DaveA »

All that is required for the change is a new cable modem. The router that you have should work just fine with the new modem.

NOW, if you have a combined DSL modem/router, then, yes, you must get both new. As for the wireless, any new router, will work with any current machines running Windows 7. I have found that I have the best service from the NetGear brand and they are priced in the lower/mid range.

I currently am using a FVG318 from NetGear. It has 8 wired ports plus wireless. We use it to wireless connect a few visiting laptops, 2 Kindle Fire readers, and 7 machines on wired connections.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:it is an Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN. How can I determine which standard (B, G or N) it is using and on which band it is operating
My understanding is that this means the wireless adaptor in the laptop will automatically switch to what ever the router is transmitting.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV, but it is my understanding that as long as one of the signaling protocols (B, N, G) is common between the router and the wifi adapter cards that the hardware will figure it out for itself. Of course, this could mean that you are not getting the maximum advantage of your router to computer as far as speed and reliability are concerned; but few home users below the level of eager gamers are likely to notice the difference.

Please, don't take this as gospel. Any here who can correct my statement, please do so.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thank you all for contributing to my networking education.

Stuck, Bob, after some more research I was starting to suspect that, after following some handshaking protocol, the router and the client would work things out all by themselves. You kinda confirmed that.

Dave, I do have a combined router/modem (Thomson Speedtouch 585). Besides a new router, I need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem given the bandwidth I'm looking at. While there are many excellent 'n' routers available, I'm leaning towards an 'ac' router if only to be ready for the future.

I'd still like to know if there is any way to determine the frequency and the protocol in use by a WiFi client and if there is any way to influence or set these settings.

P.S. Bob, I do hope that is not a plantar wart on your heel!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:I'm leaning towards an 'ac' router if only to be ready for the future.
Probably a plan but make sure any 'ac' router you consider is also at least 'n' compliant or your current laptop with it's BGN adaptor won't be able to talk to it.

Or is that the excuse you need to upgrade the laptop as well ;grin:

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Paul!

If you look at Network Adapters in Device Manager (CP|System|Hardware|Device Manager gets you there in XP, don't know about Win&), you can see the characteristics of your wifi adapter. There should be something like it in Win7 but someone else will have to help you there.

Thank you for your concern, but that is tar sticking on my heel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'd still like to know if there is any way to determine the frequency and the protocol in use by a WiFi client and if there is any way to influence or set these settings.
I'm not certain that I answered the question that you asked, Paul. My answer referred to network adapters on computers, specifically Win-based devices. I'm sure there are similar screens for apple products and smart phones that communicate using wifi.

If you were asking about checking protocols on a router, you can do that, too. You must know how to address the router, usually using a browser. In all of those that I've had experience with, placing IP address 192.168.1.1 will send a query to the router. You must then go through identifying yourself to the router, usually with a username and password. All manufacturers have their own defaults for those values. After completing the authentication process, you should see screens with tabs and options that will take you to the settings on the machine. You can see the current values and should be able to change them if you have permissions. I can view the IEEE 802.11.- protocol setting on my Linksys router in this manner. Most other manufacturers will have a similar interface.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

stuck wrote:
PaulB wrote:I'm leaning towards an 'ac' router if only to be ready for the future.
Probably a plan but make sure any 'ac' router you consider is also at least 'n' compliant or your current laptop with it's BGN adaptor won't be able to talk to it.

Or is that the excuse you need to upgrade the laptop as well ;grin:

Ken
Good point. While every 'ac' router I've looked at is backwards compatible with at least 'g' and 'n', I better not assume that all of them are.

So far I haven't come across any laptops that have 'ac' clients.
Regards,
Paul

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

PaulB wrote:So far I haven't come across any laptops that have 'ac' clients.
Not surprising from what I've read about 'ac', it's still only a draft spec.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

PaulB wrote:...I'd still like to know if there is any way to determine the frequency and the protocol in use by a WiFi client and if there is any way to influence or set these settings...
I use a tool called inSSIDer for this. It will show all the wireless signals it can receive and tell you about frequencies, protocols and much more.

You c an influence the settings from the properties of your wireless network adapter device.
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Stuart. I'll check it out.
Regards,
Paul