Switching From Wireless G to N Technology?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Switching From Wireless G to N Technology?

Post by hlewton »

I contacted Cisco-Linksys support and to make a long story short he has given me a lot to think about but the main point is he suggested I update my Wireless G router WRT54GL to the Wireless – N technology. I have found one that has 4 Ethernet ports on it as my current one does. I am using all 4 ports so that is a must.

I have to stick with one that is also compatible with a Wii game system but I believe I have found that. It is the E4200 v2 router. I guess I would like to know if this is a good choice or is there a better router that will increase the signal strength within my house.

Next I have 3 printers that are assigned static IP addresses. If I replace my current router with this new one will the printers have to be setup all over again?

Thanks?

I probably should have said that my printers are wired to Linksys switches; which brings up another question. My switches that are connected to the wireless router now will still function the same won't they?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Switching From Wireless G to N Technology?

Post by StuartR »

That router has been reviewed by CNET who gave it pretty good comments.

Most routers allow you to fix the IP address for a printer, but domestic routers usually do this by allowing you to fix the address that has already been automatically issued. Only a fairly expensive one would allow you to select an arbitrary IP address that matches the existing setup.

The user guide for the E4200 v2 router can be downloaded from http://homedownloads.cisco.com/download ... 47_Web.pdf, and this shows a "DHCP Reservation" button. According to this article you can use this to set arbitrary IP addresses for your printers, so long as you know their MAC addresses. If this works then you should be fine to continue using the printers with no other changes.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Switching From Wireless G to N Technology?

Post by hlewton »

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton