Found in Control Panel

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Found in Control Panel

Post by Gloria E »

I am running Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page. In control panel I discovered: Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System.

I have 2 concerns:

I read some where that Front Page has been discontinued. Is that true or false, has FP really been discontinued and if so, is my installation still relevant?

Next: In Contol Panel I see: Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System. If I'm running the above office program, do I need the Compatibility Pack?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Found in Control Panel

Post by HansV »

1) Microsoft doesn't develop new versions of FrontPage any more, but you can keep on using it (if you need it).

2) The Compatibility pack is useful: it lets you open Word documents, Excel workbooks and PowerPoint presentations that have been created in the new file formats for Office 2007 and 2010.
For example, Word 2002 (XP) saves documents with extension .doc. Word 2007 and 2010 can still save documents as .doc, but it has new and more efficient file types .docx and .docm. As more and more users switch to the new Office versions, you may well receive one of those new file types.
Normally, you wouldn't be able to open them in Word 2002, but with the Compatibility Pack you can open and even edit and save them.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:1) Microsoft doesn't develop new versions of FrontPage any more, but you can keep on using it (if you need it).

2) The Compatibility pack is useful: it lets you open Word documents, Excel workbooks and PowerPoint presentations that have been created in the new file formats for Office 2007 and 2010.
For example, Word 2002 (XP) saves documents with extension .doc. Word 2007 and 2010 can still save documents as .doc, but it has new and more efficient file types .docx and .docm. As more and more users switch to the new Office versions, you may well receive one of those new file types.
Normally, you wouldn't be able to open them in Word 2002, but with the Compatibility Pack you can open and even edit and save them.
Thanks for the explainations. I never used Front Page, is there a way to remove it?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes:
Activate the Programs and Features control panel.
If Microsoft FrontPage is listed separately, select it and click Remove.
Otherwise, select Microsoft Office XP and click Change.
Click 'Add or Remove Features', then click Next.
Locate Microsoft FrontPage in the list of Office components.
Select the dropdown to the left of the name, then select Not Available.
Click Continue and follow the rest of the instructions.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Yes:
If Microsoft FrontPage is listed separately, select it and click Remove.
Otherwise, select Microsoft Office XP and click Change.
Locate Microsoft FrontPage in the list of Office components.
Select the dropdown to the left of the name, then select Not Available.
Click Continue and follow the rest of the instructions.
I'm in deep stuff now. I found that although Microsoft XP was located in control panel Not Available was not listed. The drop down list contained the following options:

Help; FrontPage Typical Themes; FrontPage Additional Themes.
I did a search of my computer and found that all Office programs needed installation, even things like Word where listed in the Start Menu, when I clicked on them I received a message that the programs I was trying to use were not installed for the current user and to please run setup again.

The big problem is that I no longer have the installation disk for Microsoft Office XP with FrontPage. During the move it was misplaced or lost. I do have the installation disk for Microsoft Office SP Professional, version 2002. Now what do I do? Should I remove the office program listed in control panel and install the CD I have?

If you suggest that I uninstall, will removing via control panel remove all of the files and folders for Office I have now? I don't understand how all the updates for Office were installed, since they've never been installed.

BTW: I found Winword.exe listed in Program files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\. That too needed installation.

Please help me get out of this mess I find myself in.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this first:

Keep the Office CD that you have at hand.

Select Microsoft Office XP and click Change.
Locate Microsoft Word in the list of Office components.
Select the dropdown to the left of the name, then select Run from My Computer (or similar).
Do the same for other Office programs that you'd like to use, perhaps Excel.
The ones that you'll never use can be set or left as Not Available.
Click Continue and follow the rest of the instructions. The installation procedure will probably ask for the CD.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Try this first:

Keep the Office CD that you have at hand.

Select Microsoft Office XP and click Change.
Locate Microsoft Word in the list of Office components.
Select the dropdown to the left of the name, then select Run from My Computer (or similar).
Do the same for other Office programs that you'd like to use, perhaps Excel.
The ones that you'll never use can be set or left as Not Available.
Click Continue and follow the rest of the instructions. The installation procedure will probably ask for the CD.
Your instructions worked perfectly. I choose Run from this computer for only Word & Power Point. I checked the start menu and only the two named above remain on the list.
The installation program did ask for the CD, it accepted the one I have. Next, I opened Word and it opened with no notice of the disk being needed.

Thank you once again, Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that, Gloria!
Best wishes,
Hans