Am I missing something in Publisher 2007?

SteveTetch
NewLounger

Am I missing something in Publisher 2007?

Post by SteveTetch »

I've begun to use MS Publisher very recently because I don't have the time to bend Word 2007 to my will in order to create a customisable 2012 calendar to my satisfaction. I was told the template selection in Publisher 2007 was much better (it is) and that changing the start and end dates for the calendar was a doddle (which it is, but...)

I've found a template that I like, but that I want to make some layout changes to it, in order to maximise the size of the calendar grid (for writing reminder notes etc.) and to increase the size of the picture I can add (a different one for every month).

The trouble is, if I open a single page document using my calendar template of choice, amend the layout then attempt to change the dates, Publisher will get rid of all of my customisatrions and give me a 12 page calender based on the original template. If I select the inlclusive dates at the start of the process and have a 12 page calendar based on the default template, then it appears that I have to amend the layout on each page individually. Changes on page 1 don't flow to ther other pages and, although it's possible to select all of the pages at once, the moment I attempt to change a layout component, the selection defaults to the active page and none of the other pages are amended. I tried making the changes to a single page and saving it as a personal template, but that loses the ability to change the dates and create a variable calendar - unless there's a naming convention I'm unaware of.

I feel I'm missing something obvious because I can't believe the app can be so stubborn, willful and obnoxious. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Steve

HansV
Administrator

Re: Am I missing something in Publisher 2007?

Post by HansV »

I'm not a Publisher expert by any means, but I fear you're stuck and will have to edit each page separately. If I'm wrong, I hope that somebody will correct me.
Best wishes,
Hans

SteveTetch
NewLounger

Post by SteveTetch »

It seems you're right, Hans. After much and extensive searching, I've been unable to find any simple way to format a calendar as I want in Publisher 2007. Fortumately, my prefered layout only contained three or four objects so formatting them on page one, noting the sizes and relative positions then manually reproducing these on the subsequent pages ensured consistency of appearance.

It's a bind, however, and I continue looking for information on creating and amending the formatting wizards within the app, in order to gain full control. I'm assuming the information is out there somewhere, but less easy to find than similiar data regarding Word or Excel, for example, because Publisher is an app that people tend to use 'As Is', rather than try to adapt in the way people are used to for the more familiar Office apps.

I'm not sure yet whether the information isn't available becasue so few people want to use it, or so people attempt to use it because it's so hard to find.

Current project is done but the search continues...

Thanks you for your response, Hans and Happy New Year!

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I have to wonder if creating a Master Page will help as this is a standard feature of the MS Office Suites The following is from MS Publisher 2007 Help:
Create, edit, or delete a master page
Every new publication starts with one master page. A master page can contain anything that you can put on a publication page, as well as some page elements (such as headers, footers, and layout guides) that can be set up only on a master page.
You have to create a new master page only if you want a variety of layouts in a publication that has more than one page.
In this article
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About master pages
Create a master page
Apply a master page
Edit a master page
Delete a master page
Rename an existing master page